Yet another newb NFA question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When doing a SBR for an AR with a collapsible stock, on the paperwork where it says overall length, is that with the stock extended or collapsed?

I'm thinking it means collapsed but I want to make sure.

Laubage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My guess is collapsed, but I don't know for sure. It would make sense that they would be concerned with how small and concealable the weapon is since you are making an SBR.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is actually measured in the "firing position" which would be extended or for weapons with a folding stock it would be unfolded.

As you are aware, an SBR is a rifle that has a barrel under 16" or an overal length under 26". The Auto-Ordnance M1A1 Carbine Paratrooper clone is a non-NFA item even though it is under 26" folded because it is 35" unfolded.

[Broken External Image]

Here is some more info on the subject from the ATF NFA Handbook, section 2.1.5 (http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-2.pdf) where they are talking about a Marble Game Getter which has both a rifle and shotgun barrel.

NOTE: One version of the Marble’s Game Getter was produced with 18-inch barrels and a folding
shoulder stock. This model of the Game Getter, as manufactured, is not subject to the provisions of the
NFA because it has barrels that are 18 inches in length and the overall length of the firearm, with stock
extended, is more than 26 inches. However, if the shoulder stock has been removed from the 18-inch
barrel version of the Game Getter, the firearm has an overall length of less than 26 inches and is an
NFA weapon. Specifically, the firearm is classified as a weapon made from a rifle/shotgun.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I figured it would be from the collapsed position because that's how short it can be...... guess I was wrong. Thanks for the clarification.

Now who wants to give me the $200 for the tax stamp???? anyone????

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So even on an AR that can be fired in the "collapsed" position, it's measured from the extended position?

Yes. Again, per ATF NFA Handbook, "The overall length of a firearm is the distance between the muzzle of the barrel and the rearmost portion of the weapon measured on a line parallel to the axis of the bore".

Latest posts

Top Bottom