YETI 210 MEGA-stink

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for tips to eliminate the stench of rotten meat from my YETI 210 cooler. A chub of Coues deer venison was accidently left in the basket of the cooler for about 6 months in the garage. My wife suspected a dead mouse. I generally can't smell squat (thanks to a prior SARS-CoV-2 infection (AKA CCP virus)), but when moving the YETI to clean the garage, I opened it. Inside was the chub in the basket and about a 1/4 inch of black fluid on the cooler bottom. It all visibly rinsed out just fine. So far, it has been douched and scrubbed with Simple-Green, baking soda, and citrus cleaner. Smells fine to me, but everybody else hates it. After a couple of weeks on the back porch with the lid open, I moved it back to the garage and keep an open tub of baking soda in it and the lid ajar. I'm thinking of getting an ozone generator and running it off and on until it passes DW's inspection. I might also try spraying bleach on the seal.

I'm hoping tincture of time will also help dispense the putrescine, cadaverine, and other stinky molecules.

Any tips would be appreciated.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve done similar things, I left a bunch of meat and fruit in mine for about 3 months, didn’t realize it. Covered in mold and nasty stuff, smelled horrible.. I rinsed everything off, hit it with full strength simple green, scrub, rinse, made sure I cleaned the lid seal and hinge too. Sprayed a bunch of full strength bleach, scrub, did that once or twice. Pretty much repeated that 4-5x until the smell was mostly gone. The last bit got out with some Lysol, another rinse, and 3 months of leaving it open in the garage/taking it out and using it.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spray it down with Clorox Bleach Cleaner. All of it. Then do the cup of full strength bleach & water thing close the lid and leave it a couple days out in the sun. Dump it out and let it dry. Then rinse it off with the hose and leave it out with the lid open in the sun to dry. You may need more than a cup a bleach, cause that’s what I used in my 65. Yours is a lot bigger. May take more bleach. You gotta kill the dna and it’s gotta get in all the nooks & crannies around the seal and the letters in the lid. That takes a little while.

Latest posts

Top Bottom