Yildiz O/U shotgun failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, things like this happen on a fairly regular basis with the lesser priced O/U shotguns.

There are many reputable shotgun gunsmiths that can fix this, and make the repair many times stronger than what it came from the factory, and enough so that you will NEVER have that issue with that gun again.

As far as the cause of the failure, looking at the pictures, this was not ammo related. The contact area between the barrels and sleeve was not properly cleaned, fluxed and soldered. The solder itself could have been of insufficient strength, and the reason for the separation.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for the barrel malfunction, I really think it was a combination of a hot load and a lock beginning to fail. Outside of true competition target loads such as AA’s, Remy Golds, and Mirage Grands, game/field loads (like 1oz SuperX, Remy Gun Club, Federal Top Gun) are seriously loaded with what’s swept up off the floor in the factory. A mix of who knows what powder. No true measure of which powder because there’s an indetermined amount of flavor X, flavor Y, etc. For reference, I didn’t really believe this was true when I got serious into sporting clays, so I put my snow tube on my SBE, got a chronograph and a box of Top Guns. I actually generated a spreadsheet. I’ll have to see if I still have it, but from memory, the lowest muzzle velocity was less than 1000FPS, and one was higher than 1560?!?! The amount of powder needed to propel 1oz of #7.5 almost 1600FPS is the equivalent of more than a Remington Express 7.5 coming out at 1400FPS. That’s borderline catastrophic failure in an aluminum based thin plastic hull.

If you’re going to shoot competition, or just hone your skills for upland and waterfowl, shoot a quality target load. They don’t cost that much more and they’re much more consistent. Think about it this way-your leading a left to right target. You’re used to a 1200FPS shell. At 30 yards, you’re lead is about an inch in your sight window? 30% difference either way means you totally miss the clay. What if it happens twice in a 100 target event? That’s the difference in second and fourth place. What if it’s on Bob Whites in Roger Mills county? They’re so hard to find right now, you might not get another shot at them until next year!
IIRC one in the link I posted was shooting AA loads.

HogHQ39

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for the barrel malfunction, I really think it was a combination of a hot load and a lock beginning to fail. Outside of true competition target loads such as AA’s, Remy Golds, and Mirage Grands, game/field loads (like 1oz SuperX, Remy Gun Club, Federal Top Gun) are seriously loaded with what’s swept up off the floor in the factory. A mix of who knows what powder. No true measure of which powder because there’s an indetermined amount of flavor X, flavor Y, etc. For reference, I didn’t really believe this was true when I got serious into sporting clays, so I put my snow tube on my SBE, got a chronograph and a box of Top Guns. I actually generated a spreadsheet. I’ll have to see if I still have it, but from memory, the lowest muzzle velocity was less than 1000FPS, and one was higher than 1560?!?! The amount of powder needed to propel 1oz of #7.5 almost 1600FPS is the equivalent of more than a Remington Express 7.5 coming out at 1400FPS. That’s borderline catastrophic failure in an aluminum based thin plastic hull.

If you’re going to shoot competition, or just hone your skills for upland and waterfowl, shoot a quality target load. They don’t cost that much more and they’re much more consistent. Think about it this way-your leading a left to right target. You’re used to a 1200FPS shell. At 30 yards, you’re lead is about an inch in your sight window? 30% difference either way means you totally miss the clay. What if it happens twice in a 100 target event? That’s the difference in second and fourth place. What if it’s on Bob Whites in Roger Mills county? They’re so hard to find right now, you might not get another shot at them until next year!
I never took into consideration how much target loads differentiated in velocity. I would purchase my own ammo but I have been shooting what the college provides for us to use.

HogHQ39

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, things like this happen on a fairly regular basis with the lesser priced O/U shotguns.

There are many reputable shotgun gunsmiths that can fix this, and make the repair many times stronger than what it came from the factory, and enough so that you will NEVER have that issue with that gun again.

As far as the cause of the failure, looking at the pictures, this was not ammo related. The contact area between the barrels and sleeve was not properly cleaned, fluxed and soldered. The solder itself could have been of insufficient strength, and the reason for the separation.
I have a gunsmith looking at it right now. What over under shotguns do you recommend that are fairly affordable?

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From experience, I would recommend a Weatherby Orion.

You can get a 30" ported model with adjustable comb from Bud's for $883.85

A 28" model is $762.85

I shoot the 30" model for trap and hunt with the 28" model.

Round count for both guns is as follows:

30" - 82,682 rounds

28" - 36,198 rounds

The 30" model only sees Remington Premier Nitro Sporting Clays or a direct equivalent reload.

The 28" model see's more steel shot loads than anything else. I also use it deer hunting shooting 1 1/8 oz. Round Ball loads.

Both guns have had absolute zero issues, handle very well, are well balanced and have excellent triggers. Both guns also have long forcing cones and 3" chambers.

HogHQ39

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

A 28" model is $762.85

30" - 82,682 rounds

28" - 36,198 rounds

The 30" model only sees Remington Premier Nitro Sporting Clays or a direct equivalent reload.

The 28" model see's more steel shot loads than anything else. I also use it deer hunting shooting 1 1/8 oz. Round Ball loads.
I was actually looking at the Orion but didn't like some of the reviews. I'm glad you've mentioned this, now I will take another look at it.

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

A 28" model is $762.85

30" - 82,682 rounds

28" - 36,198 rounds

Both guns have had absolute zero issues, handle very well, are well balanced and have excellent triggers. Both guns also have long forcing cones and 3" chambers.
Wow, I don't know whats more impressive. The fact that you have fired over 118K rounds, or that you have managed to keep track of them. No wonder some of you skeet and trap shooters make it look easy.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, I don't know whats more impressive. The fact that you have fired over 118K rounds, or that you have managed to keep track of them. No wonder some of you skeet and trap shooters make it look easy.
Round count is easy. You leave home with 15 boxes of shells, shoot 12 boxes, record 300 rounds when you get back, and you have an accurate count.

118,000 rounds, that's nothing. My first Remington 870 Trap gun from the early 80's had exactly 250,000 rounds through it before I retired it. That gun ran flawless through every single round that went through the chamber!

Rifle, pistol or shotgun, I have an accurate round count through each and every one of them.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I was actually looking at the Orion but didn't like some of the reviews. I'm glad you've mentioned this, now I will take another look at it.
You won't see them at any registered shoots, and they never have any vendor booths setup at the national shoots for whatever reasons. Browning, Beretta, SKB, Kolar, Kreighoff, Perazzi, and Caesar Guerini by far the most common. A few Rizzini, Zoli and every once in a while a Fausti, CZ and a Ljutic. I had a tendency to wander around and look at guns when the kids weren't shooting lol. Most of those were trap models but they're seen on the clays course and skeet as well. My daughter son both shoot SKB OU. He hasn't shot near as much as her, hers has about 30k-35k down the the tubes with zero issues. Next time there's a registered shoot at El Reno see if Ron Bliss is there, he usually has several new and used there of several brands and models. Very reasonable prices and a great guy, very big into getting kids setup properly and shooting. In 2019 my daughter and some of her friends represented OK as the Sub Jr AAA Team and knocked down 976/1000 to win it at the Grand in Sparta, IL. She shoots her $1600 SKB just as well as her friends guns that are $4k-$20k lol.
20190730_164042.jpg
20190730_192806.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom