Yo Computer People, I Need help running a TV as a Monitor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Samsung 65" 4K TV that I use as a monitor at home, and it works quite nicely on my work from home days. I'm using an older Gigabyte Brix with onboard Intel graphics; it's not quite up to the task for full-motion 4K video, but it does ok for Remote Desktop tasks--I will say, though, when I have ten PowerShell windows open with lots of fast-scrolling text, it does sound like it's throttling up for lift off.

FWIW, as long as your computer has HDMI, DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, or Thunderbolt outputs, you'll probably be OK. Those latter three are simple cable conversions to HDMI. (HDMI to DisplayPort is a different question, though; that takes an active converter.)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there anything I can look out for in a tv that would help close that gap some?
Just get a smart TV and cast what is on your computer to the TV. Its really simple and all the latest Smart TV's have that capability.
An HDMI cable works as well. Hook cable to the TV, go to sources with the remote and select the HDMI port your in. They are all labeled.
You can get a 50" Smart TV now for $300 bucks or so that will stream HD 1080P.

MrChris

Sniper
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have read some talk of blurry lines which would be a no go for reading charts in my case.
I think i will just buy the first good deal i see on a 4k TV 40" or bigger

thanks everyone.

I day trade for a living, and I would highly suggest you invest in a couple of decent monitors as opposed to trying to use a tv. TV's are not designed for what you are trying to do. You are going to want the resolution and refresh rate that a dedicated monitor offers. Not to mention multiple monitors are worth their weight in gold when trading.
I tried the tv thing when I started a couple of years ago, and it was a waste of my time.
You can find pretty good deals on monitors these days. I just picked up 2 brand new HP 27" monitors for a trade station I am building my daughter for less than 250 bucks on sale at Best Buy.
Search out deals on monitors and ditch the TV idea if you will be actively trading.
You wouldn't use a spatula to perform an oil change would you? :hey3:

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I day trade for a living, and I would highly suggest you invest in a couple of decent monitors as opposed to trying to use a tv. TV's are not designed for what you are trying to do. You are going to want the resolution and refresh rate that a dedicated monitor offers. Not to mention multiple monitors are worth their weight in gold when trading.
I tried the tv thing when I started a couple of years ago, and it was a waste of my time.
You can find pretty good deals on monitors these days. I just picked up 2 brand new HP 27" monitors for a trade station I am building my daughter for less than 250 bucks on sale at Best Buy.
Search out deals on monitors and ditch the TV idea if you will be actively trading.
You wouldn't use a spatula to perform an oil change would you? :hey3:

Would my longer time frame trading have any impact of your reply? Im not looking for tight entries/exits every day but rather spend most of my time researching then scale into positions over time weeks even months.

I could see having one monitor dedicated to several charts of potential day trades but in my case is it really necessary?

From what i understand modern TVs perform much better for this task than they use to.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your set on using a tv for text (especially for expanded real estate in lieu of zoomed then pixels, refresh rate and contrast really matter. Try it on a tv you already own and see if it might work for you. For me the best option was an 34” ultra wide

eta. For the most part something people don’t really understand is that going bigger doesn’t really get you more real estate it only gives you a bigger picture of course unless you get a ton more pixels which is difficult with the television compared to a purpose built monitor. And Ultra Wide really does give you more real estate for putting items up on the screen and using them without stacking

Last edited:

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As said previously you want a 4K tv to do this. And the computer needs to have graphics capability to support two 4K outputs. My laptop was on the very high end when I bought it 2 years ago and supports up to three 4K displays including the internal display. Depending on where I’m at, I’m running two 4Ks or two WUXGA (1920x1200) with one 4K.
1K is 1920x1080. Also known in the TV world as 1080p
4K doubles that both directions and is 3840x2160.

In my opinion 20-24” is the limit for 1K for a computer.

Most cheaper TVs, even 4K will be limited in the number of resolutions they will support outside their native resolutions a 4K will usually support 1K.

Monitors will be the clearest at their native (largest resolution). Even though the might support more, often it will be slightly, almost undetectable, but very hard on the eyes. That was an advantage the older CRT type displays had. They would run sharp outside their native resolution.

MrChris

Sniper
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would my longer time frame trading have any impact of your reply? Im not looking for tight entries/exits every day but rather spend most of my time researching then scale into positions over time weeks even months.

I could see having one monitor dedicated to several charts of potential day trades but in my case is it really necessary?

From what i understand modern TVs perform much better for this task than they use to.

In your case I would say no, it is not necessary. I however think you will ultimately be happier with one larger monitor, than you would be with a television. If you only plan to analyze charts for say an hour a day, a tv might work for you.
Any longer than that and the fatigue from the tv will start taking its toll.
Can it be done with a tv? Yes.
Is it the best option? No

Latest posts

Top Bottom