You’d Be Surprised At How Many People Don’t

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if I understand. So it has some type of check valve at the bottom? Does it drop all the way through the casing?

Can you take it out and shoot a video of it in use? Lol
First, I 'll explain how it works and then I'll take photos. There is a rod that extends vertically from from top to bottom of the bucket and at the bottom there is a rubber flap or valve surrounded by a couple of washers affixed with a nut. This valve is pushed up by the water when the bucket hits and is filled.
When the bucket is filled the valve sort of
'floats" with a full load until you start pulling the rope to retrieve the bucket. Then the flap drops back on the 'fill hole" to retain the water. One the bucket is at the surface, (remember the rod?) you position the bucket over your 5 gallon bucket, pull the rod at the top and it discharges the water. Quite simple but effective.
On this particular bucket due to its age, the rubber flap had rotted out so I bought some more rubber and fabricated a new valve.
You can see in the photos the pull ring at the top and the bottom photo shows the rubber and a bracket that holds the bottom in place.
I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 5C3AD644-08D4-4437-ADB5-D7496C5FCA8B.jpeg
    5C3AD644-08D4-4437-ADB5-D7496C5FCA8B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • F84BEC67-0E23-4268-B163-E9EA842AE1AA.jpeg
    F84BEC67-0E23-4268-B163-E9EA842AE1AA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Additionally, I think the pattern could be used to create a PVC bucket. 4” PVC 4 feet long, 1/4” metal rod (I’ve seen these buckets repaired and instead of a circle ring at the top, it was bent at 90 degrees), the metal guide at the top and bottom bracket behind the nut you could create out of any similar price of scrap metal laying around.
When I replaced the rubber, I wanted to keep the bucket as original as possible so I cut the rod in half, put new rubber in and threaded the rod and spliced the rod.
I can't take a pix or video of it in use because I'd have to pull the well pump., arrange for help to pull same, etc, etc. LOL

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First, I 'll explain how it works and then I'll take photos. There is a rod that extends vertically from from top to bottom of the bucket and at the bottom there is a rubber flap or valve surrounded by a couple of washers affixed with a nut. This valve is pushed up by the water when the bucket hits and is filled.
When the bucket is filled the valve sort of
'floats" with a full load until you start pulling the rope to retrieve the bucket. Then the flap drops back on the 'fill hole" to retain the water. One the bucket is at the surface, (remember the rod?) you position the bucket over your 5 gallon bucket, pull the rod at the top and it discharges the water. Quite simple but effective.
On this particular bucket due to its age, the rubber flap had rotted out so I bought some more rubber and fabricated a new valve.
You can see in the photos the pull ring at the top and the bottom photo shows the rubber and a bracket that holds the bottom in place.
I hope this helps.
Ok, I think I get it now. I had never seen one of those, thanks for posting.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't there a hand pump that one can use and leave the submersible pump in place? It seems like I've read of one to use if the power goes out...but where???

Latest posts

Top Bottom