You’re prepared for the worst, but what about reality?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not trying to knock on you guys who are preparing for the next mad max fury road, but what about what is going on right now? Specifically, within the city? I’m moving from mustang to Edmond, staying in a regular city lot. Watching food/energy prices gives me the willies. I would really like to try and pad my losses with all this crap going on. I have maybe 3-6 months worth of food, but I don’t want to store food for the fall of civilization, I want to be prepared for the sake of my pocket book. If it were 2-4 years in the future and I had bought my 20-30 acres and such I wouldn’t be concerned and could go about farming, everything would be ok. But right now living in a standard city lot is my reality. What can I do to offset things/build myself a bit of a safety net? I’m on a fixed income at the moment, so I don’t have a ton of wiggle room. I’ve been considering getting 4-6 chickens (Edmond allows that many for my size lot if I’m not mistaken), maybe starting a garden. This spring I would also like to start beekeeping. But given my little plot of land, and my finances, my options aren’t great right now. Aside from stocking up on a few staples, I don’t have much desire to hoard a ton of ridiculously inflated groceries.

what do you guys suggest? Keep a half dozen chickens, start a few raised beds and a beehive? Am I looking at spending more money that I will likely save?

what about quail? They’re plenty tasty, produce eggs, and from what I heard take up little space. While the husbandry techniques would be different, having a few quail would be super handy next year, as I’m getting a hunting dog and would need some good training aids.
Have given this a lot of thought over the years. Even though I have a fairly good sized lot in Del City, I just couldn't get farming the property cost effective. I've had big gardens, and I haven't had a fruit tree live yet. Water consumption should be looked at if on a fixed income, because hobby farming, gardening, or raising livestock takes lots of water. Converted the old storm shelter into a cistern, since it holds water really good. That helped with the watering. Basically, at least under my circumstances, the lowest common denominator is not growing or raising, but storing. It made more sense to buy whats needed, and then use the property for storage. Small grain bins can be purchased and placed in the back yard (check Edmond ordinances, but I don't know of any Del City ordinance which requires a permit to do this), also small tin buildings work well, with blue foam board for insulation and a window unit combo AC/heat to keep items at a standard temp. Garage works well too, but I like to keep my Jeep in this one. I've used vacuum sealers often over the years, but going to invest in a vacmaster chamber vacuum machine, and another freeze dryer. Those harvestright freeze dry machines look pretty good (but costly). Sam's has bulk beans, flour, etc. which is still fairly reasonably priced. My dogs like chickens, so I don't keep any anymore, because the dogs are security and would have to build some elaborate chicken run. Not going to do that.

Anyway, just a few thoughts. I like this topic and interested in what you decide to do.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the number of cages you want, you can probably buy a sheet of concrete wire. It can be rolled up in a cage (circle) much easier than heavier wire livestock panel.
Looks like $20 for a concrete wire panel.
Yes but they are a little shorter. 3.5" if I remember correctly. The livestock panel is 4" and I really with it was 6". My tomato plants get tall. This years were over 5 ft. They are some concrete panels that are 8 x 20" but I think that would hang over both ends of the Rav to far.

I forgot one thing I wanted to mention, if you have a spare room or large closet, those wire rack shelves will hold a lot of canned goods. and I mean several hundred pounds per shelf. Just remember to rotate your stock and only buy what you eat.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some tomato cages that are built out of 1/2 pvc that goes in a retangular box, they just slip together using no glue that way you can take apart for easy storage.

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
an7\ll it takes is a little googling to realize the average age of the average land/property owner for any address you want. it's very easy to see most stuff is owned by very old people who simply have way more than they can defend. there's really not that much need to stock up your personal supplies if you are willing to raid.

he who strikes first will set himself up nicely. waiting will be huge mistake.
Well Joe, there's some other things you may want to consider before raiding us country hicks.

First, you need to be prepared to sniper me and whoever else happens to be here because I can assure you
they can all shoot and shoot very well. You would be hard pressed to find a country home without at least one firearm, probably several.

I don't have any close neighbors, but the ones I do have (within earshot) are some of the best people
on earth who would take an interest in any strange shooting activities and strange vehicles on my place and they know I would do the same.

Should you slaughter me, my family and Rottweiler's, here are some other things to consider.

How can you tell which of my storage foods and water have been deliberately poisioned? I am very creative in this respect.

Do you know how to check for booby traps on tools, equipment, etc.?

How can you tell which rounds in my ammo stash have been deliberately waaay overloaded? Guaranteed to blow up
your gun and probably your face.

Can you tell which medicines have been tampered with or don't contain at all anything on the label?

I am the type who will help out most anybody (even strangers) if they really need it, but if you come to take, it will be after the fight!

I have no delusions of taking out a large, well armed and well trained raiding party, but you may not be getting what you think!

Good luck on your raids and I hope you don't pick me or my neighbors first cause your career may not last as long as you think....

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well Joe, there's some other things you may want to consider before raiding us country hicks.

First, you need to be prepared to sniper me and whoever else happens to be here because I can assure you
they can all shoot and shoot very well. You would be hard pressed to find a country home without at least one firearm, probably several.

I don't have any close neighbors, but the ones I do have (within earshot) are some of the best people
on earth who would take an interest in any strange shooting activities and strange vehicles on my place and they know I would do the same.

Should you slaughter me, my family and Rottweiler's, here are some other things to consider.

How can you tell which of my storage foods and water have been deliberately poisioned? I am very creative in this respect.

How can you tell which rounds in my ammo stash have been deliberately waaay overloaded? Guaranteed to blow up

Can you tell which medicines have been tampered with or don't contain at all anything on the label?

I have no delusions of taking out a large, well armed and well trained raiding party, but you may not be getting what you think!

Good luck on your raids and I hope you don't pick me or my neighbors first cause your career may not last as long as you think....
You can also hollow out a log or two, pack with gunpowder, put a plug of wood back in the hole. If done right it is very hard to detect and makes a nice explosion in a wood burning stove. Can also turn a fireplace into a sort of claymore mine.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

I am the type who will help out most anybody (even strangers) if they really need it, but if you come to take, it will be after the fight!

nah, i'm talking about people own like 5-10+ properties with that many or more houses, they have literally no chance of defending it all. unless your name comes up in the search of those individuals, i wouldn't worry and just keep booby trapping your pills.

last i checked we still had more houses than people so.....yeah. lots of them are already vacant.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes but they are a little shorter. 3.5" if I remember correctly. The livestock panel is 4" and I really with it was 6". My tomato plants get tall. This years were over 5 ft. They are some concrete panels that are 8 x 20" but I think that would hang over both ends of the Rav to far.

I forgot one thing I wanted to mention, if you have a spare room or large closet, those wire rack shelves will hold a lot of canned goods. and I mean several hundred pounds per shelf. Just remember to rotate your stock and only buy what you eat.
Are you talking about the square holes? " is commonly used for inches. Cattle panels can be found that are 52" tall and 16' length. The holes are bigger like you like. I think about 6"x10" holes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom