You get one lever action. Which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Gregors

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Attachments

• B04E7104-E493-4102-90E1-B220FC279E08.jpeg
    B04E7104-E493-4102-90E1-B220FC279E08.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 80

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a Browning lever 06 might be in your future. They are making a sweet 30- 06 Lever right now if your going the pointy bullet in a lever route, 300 win and 7 mags just have bolt action written all over them. Hard to make a lever gun stand up to 80 grains of H1000 vs 54 grains or so in a 06. Not to mention you need the 300 and 7,mm Mag to have the extra weight to manage that kind of recoil. It would probably buck pretty good in a light handling lever. I had a .375Win 94 carbine once that would kinda hurt your feelins like that.

All the cartridges you named have taken every species you name. Even that old "washed up"30/30 you mention. I have pics of 4 generations of hunters standing beside deer, elk and a bear or two on meatpoles with the two 30-30s I now own.
The Elk herds were naturally a plains animal right out there with the buffalo originally, The buffalo where exterminated with some pretty mundane stuff by today's screamin demon standard, black powder High walls, Spencers,Sharps and such. Ever look at what the "Gun that one the West" the 1873 was chambered in? The Elk adapted more to become a mountain animal but they still need meadows to graze. This is why they are only found today where they are, areas that had both.

I agree with the others that you might want to stick with that .308 for now until you know you can get plenty of ammo for it. Ive asked many a dead game animal if he felt that extra 200=300 ft/sec. I have yet to get a reply.
I think sometimes we all get caught up in ballistic manual numbers rather than getting intimately familiar with the gun you have, what its limitations are and most of all our hunting skills. JM .02cents.

Oh an I almost forgot. A little uncomfortable truth for guys that like to read ballistic tables. If you can get that old 170gr flat nose approaching 2300ft sec. at 200 yds it still has more knockdown power than anything .243 and down and less than 100gr. Don't believe me? look it up. Sierra has a wonderful app or tables in the back of their manual This might have something to do with why its still going strong after 124 years and refused to die and every thing its properly pointed at pretty much does.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom