You get what you pay for...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My younger brother gave me a watch that he bought years ago that finally quit running. He told me that a few years back he let some shop in OKC work on it, and it ran for only a week or two after getting it back. After learning that I took up watchmaking as a hobby, he asked me this weekend if I'd look at his watch. I accepted it, and figured I'd work on this one before getting started on the projects I have currently waiting.

The watch was difficult to wind, and everything just felt really sluggish. You could shake it for a bit and it'd run for 3-5 seconds then quit again. I was thinking it had a broken balance staff, which would SUCK because sourcing one would prove to be difficult.

Well, I got it taken apart and found the following (should've taken more pics, but just consider the level of dirt and oil shown in the photo below and apply it to the entire inside of the watch):
1664941424983.png

Thankfully the balance staff isn't broken, it's just so gummed up with dirt and way too much oil that it can't physically run. It looks like someone just decided to dip it in 10w30 without cleaning it last time. It was an absolute mess. I spent the better part of 90 minutes pre-cleaning with lighter fluid and pegwood on each individual part. It's in the main cleaner now, and hopefully it'll shine up a bit!

I called him this evening and asked him who the hell he sent it to for service. He said "I don't know man, they were the cheapest I could find". It is a good reminder that sometimes you get what you pay for! There better be a steak and potatoes waiting for me when he gets this watch back!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom