You guys ever heard of this Bullhoocky.......?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have my son take his 2017 Ram 1500 to the dealership in Stillwater. The truck is still mine until he graduates then it's his. He needed a full oil/filter service done, front end alignment, tire rotation and he also needed the passenger side mirror replaced and the passenger door lock actuator replaced. The dealership is telling me the side mirror and door actuator are both on order. the door part is backordered with no date for delivery. The service writer or parts guy then tells me I have to pay for the ordered parts along with the services already provided. I tell him since when does a dealer require payment for parts that are not even in stock nor are they installed on the truck. He tells me "its policy". I told him his policy is phucked and not normal. Told him to forget the parts and we'll get repaired/installed elsewhere. He then tells me there will be a restocking fee for the ordered parts. I about flipped my lid. So much so the gal in the office next to me came over to my door to make sure I was OK. Told him again how $^&*@($ his policy was and that he could go ahead and charge me the restocking fee then I'll dispute the whole charge. He put the phone down and can hear him pick up another chatting with a guy to find out about the backordered part delivery date.

In all these years I've never been told to pay for a part that is on order prior to the work being performed and parts installed. Is this a thing now? You guys ever hear of this crap? Maybe I'm wrong and chewed some azz for no reason but this seems totally odd. Anyways, just a little rant for the day.

As my friend that runs a body shop explained it, they "order" most parts they don't stock from a commercial-only parts house in the region (for instance I think the Ford one is in Dallas) that basically functions as their extended warehouse. That parts house makes a daily run to Tulsa and parts are delivered to the shop. If they end up not needing something they can send it back with the same delivery person that drops things off. My guess is that your parts weren't available in such a scenario and had to be special ordered, therefore the special order and up-front payment though the guy you were working with obviously didn't explain the difference. A "returned" special order part probably would have a restocking fee since they'll have to send it back but since it's out of stock and hadn't been shipped yet they should have just canceled the order. You can't restock something you don't even have in hand so that was a bit ridiculous of the guy. At this point he was probably just retaliating to your being upset.

I bet you can find that part online somewhere. Look at eBay and Amazon. They have a ridiculous amount of parts online and usually a lot cheaper. Then find someone good at taking apart car doors (like a body shop) and have them install it. Good luck with it!

Bryan

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sooo, "restocking fee" for something not in stock? Only in brandon's world.
This right here restocking fee is what you charge when you take things out of stock and put them back into stock. Since they were not in stock I don’t think its legal to charge a restocking fee (now had they called it an order cancelation fee maybe)

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the parts not in stock were on the same invoice as the services rendered and you hadnt closed that invoice by paying yet, there is no canceled order. If they proactively ordered them before discussing with you if you agree to wait until they came in, pay up front, etc. that is their order and not yours. I have no idea where they are getting the idea that you had them order parts at this stage of the service/transaction.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
they can't restock something they don't have in stock. that's like the .gov gun buy back can't buy back what you never owned

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too many businesses are up-charging because of the Covid virus, it's price gouging in my estimation. They don't need our business, they can go broke! Bo Howard charged my neighbor $500 above window sticker for new Honda pickup because of...

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wish I could say I was surprised but when it come to car dealers...I'm not.
Only interesting thing I've ever seen at a Dodge dealer for parts: Probably 20 years ago, I needed a part for a older Japanese made Mitsubishi, which had also been sold by Dodge.
I decided to try a Dodge dealer and they said they could have it in about a week. Did not have to pre-pay or give a deposit.
I went and picked it up, was in a heavy duty plastic bag with a HUGE sticker that said "Genuine MOPAR Replacement Part."
I had reservations for a moment after seeing that :D --and when I tore the bag open, the MOPAR sticker fell right off and underneath was the little three-pointed diamond and the words Mitsubishi Motors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom