You know what they say about 1911s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had 2 gen 3 G22s that wouldn't run right with a WML, A G19 with the feed ramp issues, and a G30SF that had FTRB issues...... anecdotes are fun.
I agree. Any gun can have issues with bad mags. Only things I dislike about Glocks is the way they sit in my hand, and they are plastic. They are as reliable as any pistol with good mags and ammo.

I do like to yank the Glock fanboys chains at times. :P

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's all a matter of preference. If you limit yourself to just Glock's or just 1911's your missing out. I have some of each along with a couple of wheel guns. Gets boring shooting the same gun all the time.

Agreed. That's why I have 6 or 7 1911s and 6 or 7 Glocks. :)

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Owning quite a few of each, I'll share my worthless opinion:

"My $400, made in the Philippines 1911 clone is just as reliable..."

^ Yes, but that is because you live in the 'burbs and get mani/pedis with your daughter. I'll wait until you live in an austere environment for a year, and due to commitments you end up neglecting your pistol for a bit. All guns need preventative maintenance (I've seen Iraqis neglect a bunch if AKs to the point they wouldn't fire), but some guns need more. The 1911 needs more.

As I recall, the JSSAP testing showed the Mean Rounds Between Stoppage of the control 1911 at ~ 162, while the Beretta was ~1,750 and the SIG was over 2,800. * Although, the mud test may have actually been won by the 1911 too.

Tupperware pistols do nothing for me, whereas a nice 1911 is a pleasure to hold and shoot. However, I think we've come to the point where you can spend $500 on a craptastic plastic wonder, and get all of the reliability (bad conditions) that you'd expect from a $1,500+ 1911...and probably more. How long did that M45A1 make it before the Marines sought to replace it again?

Is the 1911 still relevant? Well, if you don't mind the reduced capacity, extra weight, and additional cost to train...yes, it absolutely is still relevant, and I wouldn't consider a guy carrying a 1911 unarmed in the least bit. But those are three big hurdles.

Does the 1911 have advantages? Better trigger, and naturally pointable for sure. I'd bet that more people can shoot a 1911 better than a Tupperware pistol.

I'll keep and love my 1911 collection for what they are to me: Nice examples that are fun to hold and shoot. However a S&W M&P is what's on my hip, in my truck, and in my nightstand daily.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could be that the 1911 has more of an acquired taste. Whether in 9mm, 38 Super or 45ACP, there is an old school charm to them. Hard not to smile when one is in your hand. No doubt that Glocks are a very fine firearm too. Dishwasher (top shelf) safe and they have a wide demo of people shooting them … from ghetto rats to the fellow sporting a sassy man bun.

Attachments

• 1911 v Glock.jpg
    1911 v Glock.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 0

K5FAL

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have nothing against Glock, but you guys realize that if your handgun has a slide, a frame, and a tilting barrel, it was invented by JMB. So you can bash the 1911 all you want to, but it is nothing more than an evolution of an already existing design.

Latest posts

Top Bottom