Your choice for a 'high end' value long range scope?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I'm shopping...

Range will be - long. Well over 1000 yards eventually.

Price - well, I don't want to sell a kidney, and I know you can spend as much as you want to spend, probably for some diminishing returns. I'm not looking to spend $3-5k or anything, but I'm not looking to be a cheap ass, either. I'd like a decent a mount of features, like turret stops would be nice, but those can actually be added later with some add-ins. Really clear glass and durability are I guess the top priorities. I have never had anything really nice, a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12 is probably the nicest I have and have used - so I don't have much to compare to.

But I am looking for something serious. Say, for ranges out to 1500 yards, which I can shoot in Ramona someday.

So, any ideas? I'd potentially spend a grand, maybe up to $1500. For anything more than that, there would have to be very clear and convincing evidence it is absolutely worth it.

So throw out some options, what do you guys think?

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meopta Optika 6 line of optics are an incredible value. I also like Burris XTR III for more of a "Tactical" style optic that still performs well and doesnt break the bank. If you can find one on the used market the Bushnell ERS and XRS are fantastic options as well. Whatever you get be sure to mount it on a 20 MOA base or in canted rings. Thats an easy increase in range for barely any more money at all.

If you're not hung up on MIL/MIL the Zeiss Conquest V4 is also a great option.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
  • Bushnell Match Pro
  • Burris XTR III
  • Sightron SIII FFP
  • SWFA SS HD 5-20
  • Vortex PST Gen II
  • Athlon Midas TAC, Ares BTR/ETR
  • Tract Toric
  • Arken EP4
  • MeOpta Optika 6

Avoid BDC reticles, mils or MOA up to you, more precision folks shoot mils than MOA and it's helpful to be on the same page. Do get a 20 MOA base and do mind the tube diameter of the scope

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Larger tube, larger objective, in general means better light gathering and better visuals, right? Glass clarity I realize is independent of this. Assuming all other quality factors are equal, a larger tube and larger object will generally yield a better field of view and brightness?

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Larger tube, larger objective, in general means better light gathering and better visuals, right? Glass clarity I realize is independent of this. Assuming all other quality factors are equal, a larger tube and larger object will generally yield a better field of view and brightness?
Larger main tube means more mechanical adjustment; elevation and windage adjustment. Not necessarily better light gathering or transmission. Bigger objective lens, yes absolutely better light gathering and transmission. Field of view is largely going to be driven by magnification level. Some optics will have small differences in field of view but that largely negligible and not really a criteria I would take into account.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got the Vortex Viper PST gen II. I dunno if it was a special sale or if Vortex was launching something new but @blake711 found my scope much cheaper a weekor so ago. @Lonewatie has quite a bit of info on Athlon. @chazroh is another guy I know who may have some good ideas.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Athlon is a value brand I have been seeing a lot more about as of late - although I don't know much about their customer service and/or durability. I saw a bunch of them at the Wanenmacher's and didn't pay much attention, as they seemed to me to be pretty brand new on the scene - I also wasn't in the market for that at the time.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Athlon is a value brand I have been seeing a lot more about as of late - although I don't know much about their customer service and/or durability. I saw a bunch of them at the Wanenmacher's and didn't pay much attention, as they seemed to me to be pretty brand new on the scene - I also wasn't in the market for that at the time.
Both Blake and Lonewatie will be along shortly I reckon and speak highly of Athlon customer service. I don’t have any athlons but those two guys have told me about their own experiences so I’d be confident in Athlon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom