Your choice for a 'high end' value long range scope?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Sears

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I'm shopping...

Range will be - long. Well over 1000 yards eventually.

Price - well, I don't want to sell a kidney, and I know you can spend as much as you want to spend, probably for some diminishing returns. I'm not looking to spend $3-5k or anything, but I'm not looking to be a cheap ass, either. I'd like a decent a mount of features, like turret stops would be nice, but those can actually be added later with some add-ins. Really clear glass and durability are I guess the top priorities. I have never had anything really nice, a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12 is probably the nicest I have and have used - so I don't have much to compare to.

But I am looking for something serious. Say, for ranges out to 1500 yards, which I can shoot in Ramona someday.

So, any ideas? I'd potentially spend a grand, maybe up to $1500. For anything more than that, there would have to be very clear and convincing evidence it is absolutely worth it.

So throw out some options, what do you guys think?
Vortex gen II PST is a hard scope to beat for the money. Put one on my 6.5 was hitting the 1000 years gong that same day. They have the best warranty in the business also.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree Vortex has the best warranty around. Reading lots of stuff out there from people who use lots of very high end scopes, and the biggest complaints seem to be that they need the warranty not because of glass quality, but possibly some durability issues.

The exception to this seems to be mostly the Razor line, and the Razor HD. This is not to take anything away from them at all, I am a big fan of Vortex. But I went way way out on a limb over my budget on this rifle already, and I'm wanting to make sure I get the best possible glass I can manage. Actually am starting to look quite seriously at Nightforce and S&B, as well, so we shall see...

I might actually get something 'midrange' initially to start getting my shooting skills up to par, and buy myself some time to save up for a seriously high end optic. We shall see... you know how it is, the more you research, the more you begin to lean to expanding your budget and trying to get the very best you can manage...

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't looked through the high dollar Vortex, but I do like my Nightforce optics. I bought in during the tacticool craze a decade ago. Shot my gunsmiths Schmidt & Bender at a grand. The difference between it and my Nightforce was about the same difference between a Nightforce and BSA. It was staggering. It was also a further objective, but it was ridiculously bright and clear.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I have been leaning toward higher and higher end optics. And I just don't think I'm going to do it. I still have more things to buy - reloading dies, , brass, nice bipod, scope and nice mount or rings, probably a chrono, etc. Just no need to spend $2k or more right now on a scope.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't looked through the high dollar Vortex, but I do like my Nightforce optics. I bought in during the tacticool craze a decade ago. Shot my gunsmiths Schmidt & Bender at a grand. The difference between it and my Nightforce was about the same difference between a Nightforce and BSA. It was staggering. It was also a further objective, but it was ridiculously bright and clear.
Buddy has a .338 Lapua and he wanted the best glass he could get for that long range monster. He worked a ton of overtime and bought the Schmidt & Bender with Mrad. Spent right at $4000 just for the glass.
I took him elk hunting a couple of years ago, and he shot 5 rounds at an elk at a tad over 400 yards and ran out of ammo without a hit.
Glass does not make one a shooter. There are dozens of variables that come into play before one can shoot at longer ranges. What works at Oklahoma altitude on flat ground doesn't work in the mountains shooting downhill at a 45 degree angle at 20 below zero.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would practice with the scopes I had on hand.
Practice holding on target. even in the house you could open the blinds/ curtains and pick a spot 1000 or more yards away and try holding on that spot.
No need to be out in the below freezing air to get some practice.
If your optics are not clear enough to hold on a small object at 1000 or the reticle is way too large and covers a spare truck tire at 1000 then maybe you do need a better scope.
You will be surprised at what range you can see with decent glass at 10 power or even 4 power.
Decent glass ..not talking high end glass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom