Your cool and interesting ancestors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a distant relative that was a Baron in Poland and one that was a sheriff in MS. Sad to say he was a racist MF. Carried a 38 Smith top break because blacks were not worth a 45.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I’m a descendant of William Wallace. (Braveheart)

Descendant of Jedidiah Smith. Google him. Mountain Man essentially. He got killed by Comanches near what is now Ulysses, KS.

I can’t find any info on it now but I’ve read the story of “An American Indian from the central US” saving the lives of many soldiers trapped in the Argonne Forest in France in World War 1. They didn’t have any pigeons to deliver a message and they were getting fired upon by their own artillery. They sent this man to run through the forest to deliver the message. It was my great grandpa but history books never had his name. He was a “Lost Cherokee” from NW Kansas/SW Nebraska. Not to be mistaken with the Lost Battalion story.

To add on the “Lost Cherokee” thing, my ancestors were on the Trail of Tears to Oklahoma and I guess a bunch said screw this and left the trail to go north to Kansas. They would have been recognized by the US government but since they left they are known as the “Lost Cherokee” tribe. Supposedly some of the descendants are trying to get recognition from the US Government but no luck.

JH47

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 8x great grandfather Alexander Beggs Jr. was born in Ireland in 1754, came to the colonies at age 15. Joined Henry Lee's artillery and was part of the New Jersey campaign. He was at the crossing of the Delaware and participated in the Battle of Trenton.
He then joined the PA Blue State Troops and fought at the Battle of Brandywine and was captured while felling trees to stop the British advance. He escaped that night and made his way back to the American lines. His commander wouldn't let him rejoin the campaign, because he believed the British would execute him if captured again. So, he went to NC and joined another militia there, which led to him fighting in the Battle of Stono Ferry.
After the war he settled in Kentucky and finally Illinois where he died in 1837 at 82 with 9 children.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my great grand father on my dads side was a boot legger and plantation owner and had share croppers on his land. my grand father and one of the share croppers murdered my great grand father because he was a cruel and evil man. my grand father was arrested and release as long as he promised to leave Arkansas and never return. he moved to Plainview Texas, the share cropper was hanged.

my younger brothers wife is a Loving from south west Oklahoma , great great grand daughter of Oliver Loving.

Latest posts

Top Bottom