Your thoughts on my thought..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gave thought to selling, "You butcher chickens".. Meaning I/we furnish the chickens, electric plucker and scalding tub, butcher table and cleaning sink and knives if needed.. The person/s supplies they're own coolers, ice and packing materials.. I can not legally sell processed chicken but a person can dispatch and package they're own.. It would put some needed coin in our pocket and provide someone with life experience and some darn good chicken.. I'd like to hear ya'lls thoughts on this, please and thank ya..

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prices would have to be way lower than the chicken at the grocer. Yeah, the only variable in this is the human variable. Wouldn't count on it at all. Nowadays time is money and no one wants to butcher their own anymore. Might have some interest in the area farmers or at the county fair but that's about it as far as I can see.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many yrs ago, we would buy chicks in batches of 50 or so. Feed them out and take to butcher. He would kill, pluck, and gut. We would bag and take home. Don't remember what we paid . Might be something to consider.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not knocking your idea. There was an article on the news a few years back. It is literally cheeper to send the chickens over to China to process them and then bring the meat back to the USA for sale.

Like mentioned above somewhere rural may want to do that. But the price would have to be worth it. You can get a rotisserie cooked chicken out of Walmart for like six bucks. Hard to beat that

Even my Grandmother in the 60s and 70s would take a live chicken to the butcher and trade it for one already cleaned. She had a full time job so I imagine it was a convenience thing.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Half the people i know don't even cook especially if they are older so i doubt they will want to go out of the way to butcher a chicken.Now, i would be willing to pay a little something to come to your house if you would throw the chicken in the air like a clay target and let me shoot it with my shotgun and you could keep the chicken.

Latest posts

Top Bottom