Your valued opinion please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Personofinterest

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
up for consideration... what is the best/worst 45 acp pistol ever made by Ruger. Comments pro or con welcomed. I have a friendly wager on the topic and would like feedback from past and present owners. No better place to ask.
Thanks

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best is arguably the all-steel SR-1911 with 5" barrel. Series 70 design, fairly priced, more accurate than most of us could ever be, what's not to like here?

No thoughts on the worst...never had a Ruger in 45ACP other than the SR-1911 series.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a P97D I never loved. Grip seemed pretty "slick" and had the ergos of a Planet of the Apes gun, but the thing just ran. That's about the worst thing I could say about it. It was pretty accurate too.

As far as best, I don't have a Ruger 1911 in .45, but I do have one in 9mm, and it is one of the best bargains in handguns. Eats everything, including factory reloads that choke up my Hi Power clone and CZ P10c. The reloads have a problem with OAL that can result in failure to go into battery, but the Ruger does not care. It has a frame integrated plunger tube that can't fall off (unlike my S&W E series, which did) and is by the way, really, really accurate.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, can't help you. The Ruger P-89 was sinfully ugly, but every one I ever shot was reliable and quite accurate. I had. P97DC that was 100% reliable and surprisingly accurate, especially with 230gr Gold Dot. I sold 35 of them to a security outfit and they never had any issues with theirs either.

Mine did have one idiosyncracy. If I was shooting on a hard surface, ejecting the mags on the ground would occasionally cause the follower and spring to pop out over the feed lips.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as best, I don't have a Ruger 1911 in .45, but I do have one in 9mm, and it is one of the best bargains in handguns. Eats everything, including factory reloads that choke up my Hi Power clone and CZ P10c. The reloads have a problem with OAL that can result in failure to go into battery, but the Ruger does not care.
Model? For us non-Ruger aficionados... :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom