Youth Sports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why don't cities offer youth sports anymore? Norman and Moore have both farmed their youth softball, baseball and soccer leagues out to private organizations. When I was a kid, my parents paid $40 to the Parks and Rec department, I was put on a team and given a jersey, and we had practices and games. I've been looking into softball for my daughter and at 6 years old, you have to either (1) have a team or (2) sign up as an individual and get placed on a team. Then there are $300 league fees, pay at the plate fees, jersey fees, and tournament fees. Come on man. I'm not looking to get her in the pipeline to play for Patti Gasso in 12 years. Just want her to go out and have fun on a ball field.

The only option for soccer in Norman is NYSA, which is stupid expensive and basically a college-prep soccer pipeline from what I've seen. That's why we had her play for the city of Moore last year. I looked into it again this fall, and Moore farmed their youth soccer program out to the Moore Soccer Association.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ball Clubs of Norman or Moore Girls Softball Association? Is it really as complicated as it appears?

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We ran our kids through the YMCA/YWCA sports when they were younger. It was hassle free. If you don't want to go through the BCN etc you might look at them.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Broken arrow still does that way. Signed my son up, got a call from the coach a few days later and been a great experience so far. I think it was about $80, which includes hat and jersey. Our team ended up getting our jerseys but still under $150 for the season.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My son went to a linebacker camp last week in North Carolina. Parents were allowed in for some of it, but were required to attend a 90 min session on recruiting. Two of the leaders of the camp were a former SEC linebacker coach and Def coordinator, and the other a former D1 linebacker with a couple years NFL experience. 20 min of the 90 min was about exposure and getting your kid seen by coaches......the other 70 min was a reality check for parents, and the odds of their kids playing D3 vs D2 vs D1 ball at all, let alone going on further. It burst a lot of bubbles I'm sure but it was good stuff lol. He went through height, weight, strength and speed averages of D1 athletes and NFL athletes for various positions which is about .01% of athletes playing those positions in high school. Good eye opener, bottom line was go enjoy watching your kids play, and be realistic.

L.C.

👮🏻RETIRED L.E.O.👮🏻
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Grandson plays basketball and baseball at his school/Country School.
Also races.
He's 15 years old.
IMG_3359.JPG

Eric_Williams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My oldest(3rd grade) plays football thought his school and did so last year as well. It was easy signed him up, paid the fee, got the gear, and he went to combine. Now my youngest wanted to play soccer and that was a nightmare. Had to go through a club to get him on a team and the kids he plays go to all different schools.

Latest posts

Top Bottom