Yum!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not normally post recipes because unless it is grilled most of you can not cook it, but this is something I made about a week ago and is to good not to share. Even the left overs were great. Great for tougher pork chops or I think for those of you that stalk the elusive free range bacon. The smell alone as it cooks will have you thanking me. :D

For you diabetics, as of 2007 pearl barley has by far the lowest glycemic index of any grain ever tested. It does not have much flavor by itself but picks it up from the other foods very nicely.

Slow Cooker Pork and Barley with mushrooms.

Ingredients,

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped and1 teaspoon salt. Or just use garlic salt.
6 pork chops or similar. ( For chops use a thicker cut with the fat trimmed off )
1/2 cup barley. (We used the pearled barley from Edmond Health Food, if you do, tell them Rick sent you)
8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced.
1/2 onion, chopped.
6 carrots, peeled and cut up.
2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 bay leaf
1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste.

To cook.

Rub chopped garlic and 1 teaspoon salt or garlic salt into pork chops.
Place barley in slow cooker and top with pork chops. Cover with white mushrooms, carrots and chopped onion. Add chicken broth, water, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, salt and a few grinding of fresh black pepper.
Set slow cooker to low. Cover and cook 8 hours.

I think you could use beef roast and broth and get good results too. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom