1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Zero turn mower advice..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Timmy59, Sep 18, 2020.

1. nick.410

nick.410 Sharpshooter

I really like the Bad Boy. Ya get what ya pay for also. Some of ya are talking about $8k or more. @pjackso has good advice.

2. Cohiba

Cohiba Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    ***#1. Anything the City of Okc dealing with equipment is THE lowest bid.

#2. The John Deere ztr mowers they use are heavy duty but can be purchased at John Deere dealers.

#3. I wonder if anyone has purchased from Tractor Bob...on the Southside of Okc? His equipment is Yanmar and Yanmar engines. Not sure about his mowers...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  3. cjjtulsa

cjjtulsa Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'm in the same boat; my lawn tractor Craftsman is about at the end, I've welded the deck more than once, rebuilt this and that, and now I'm limping that old deck towards the finish line this season. Getting a new zero turn to replace it. Looked at Atwoods the other day, and the ones they had displayed all had the welded decks - not the thinner sheet metal. I did see a Kohler on one of them, and I'd pass on that, though I think one of the Cub Cadets was a Kawi, so that one would be an option. Looking in the 54" range, as that's what I have now, and there are a few places in my yard that anything over a 60" might not fit. I'll keep an eye on this informative thread.

4. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    So it was bad boy vs gravely for the $$, I liked the bad boys features a bit more but to add a Kawasaki was an additional $600.. We bought the Gravely, $66.21 a month for 48mo with zero interest, But they get that interest with the $150 paperwork fee.. Mows good, runs plenty fast, we'll see how it holds up.. I'll post a pic or 2 and say sumpin more when time permits..

n423 and O4L like this.
  5. Oklahomabassin

Oklahomabassin Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
  6. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    20200920_084344.jpg

A very basic unit, less plastic than many, the deck is 11 gauge not the 7 I thought.. The 23 hp Kawasaki runs good and tall grass doesn't phase it and the deck leaves a good cut.. The biggest complaint is the seat, very rudimentary seat adjustment and I'll have to take a cutting wheel to it to keep from jamming the seat safety if I'm going to be able to move it forward for the 5'3" wife..

7. Fredkrueger100

Fredkrueger100 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I have a 52” hustler raptor and I love it. It was $3000 at Lowe’s. But I would go to Mikes in Harrah. Mine has the Kawasaki engine. It’s made very well and has a fabricated deck and chassis.

8. retrieverman

retrieverman Sharpshooter

I acquired a 52” Hustler Raptor with the house I bought last year, and it’s been great so far. It’s not as heavy duty as the Fast Trac my Dad had, but it didn’t cost as much either.

9. TwoForFlinching

TwoForFlinching Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Anybody ever weld hardened abrasion resistant filler rod across a mower blade? Seems like it would be somewhat self sharpening.

10. Neckbeard

Neckbeard Ammo For Sale

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    gravely/ariens make good machines. I think you will be happy with it. Just keep it maintained and it should last a long time.

Timmy59 likes this.