1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Zero turn mower

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ronny, Dec 5, 2018 at 7:34 PM.

1. BReeves

BReeves Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Bought a Hustler 60" 3 years ago, they do have smaller ones. Pretty amazing what I am able to get around and through even with a 60" deck. I cut about an acre around the house with the ZTR and it did cut my mowing time in half from the Cub Rider we had. Cut the other 6 acres with a Ford 3000 tractor pulling a 7 foot flail mower. Too rough for the ZTR due to mowing it with the tractor when the ground was too soft.

Get a good mower and if you can buy it from a dealer.

2. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    When my wife and I bought our first home n times was real tough I used a wore out 22" push mower. One day it made terrible engine noises and quit working. We went to see about getting a new push mower and the $279 price tag (self propelled) was a bit steep. Got the little classifieds paper on the way home and found a 30" Dixon zero turn for $150. Man said it mowed good until one day it wouldn't turn over so he bought a new one. We went n looked at the 30", it was in perfect condition with a 10hp Briggs. I looked her over and whispered to my wife that I thought the mower engage/disengage switch on the deck was probably the problem. She explained to me how bad it would be if I was wrong and that we couldn't afford to lose $150. We bought that mower and had it fixed in 2 mins when we got home. Mowed lots of miles with it for a few years and sold it for $300 when we bought a brand new John Deere 48" zero turn. So yeah, 30" Dixons exist and they are good mowers.

dennishoddy likes this.
  3. jrusling

jrusling Sharpshooter

I have the older version of this one and it has cut my mowing time in half over a regular riding mower. It is also a lot easier on my bad shoulder.

4. ronny

ronny Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Now you've hit upon it. I just didn't want to admit how hard this one I've got is on my elderly arms.

jrusling likes this.
  5. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

My dad bought a well-used Dixon (48" cut, I think) from a friend of his when he bought a John Deere ZTR. Aside from a slightly slipping drive system, it ran really well and did a great job of cutting, although it was actually overtaxed with what it was being asked to mow. It could haul my big butt around and still had enough power to cut grass that should've rightfully been cut by a brush hog, it just had to do it slowly at times.

I'm told that Dixon got bought a few years ago, and they aren't what they used to be, so they might be the ones you want to buy used.

6. TonyKane1

TonyKane1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    My cousin has a small gravely that he uses to mow small yards with his business. He loves it. I can say I won’t ever own anything else besides a zero turn. I can’t believe regular riders are still made.

dennishoddy likes this.
  7. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    They do have their purpose if your into small implements. My Craftsman GT5000 hydrostatic had a sleeve hitch on the back that would mount 4' box blade, little disk, and a hiller to plant taters, etc. My Bad Boy 60" doesn't even have a hitch to adapt anything.
    Brings to mind, I need to get rid of those small implements and the sleeve hitch.

TonyKane1 likes this.
  8. kirk1978

kirk1978 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    52" Dixon ZTR here.....cuts through my 1.5 acres with 30 trees in 1 hour. I also heard they were bought out, glad I got mine when I did.

I also liked the SCAG mowers at the time, the deck seemed extra "beefy".

9. Dave70968

Dave70968 Sharpshooter

ZTRs are specialized tools that do one job and do it very well. Garden tractors are utility tools that can be used for a lot of jobs, and do them effectively, but are not as good at any given task as an optimized, purpose-built tool.

kirk1978 likes this.
  10. Shadowrider

Shadowrider Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    ZTRs suck on hilly terrain. Tractor mowers suck less there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk