Zero turn mower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ZTRs are specialized tools that do one job and do it very well. Garden tractors are utility tools that can be used for a lot of jobs, and do them effectively, but are not as good at any given task as an optimized, purpose-built tool.
I've had all three of the models. Lawn tractor manual shift, Garden tractor hydrostatic, and finally a Bad boy 60" ZTR on 3+ acres with over 40 trees and sometimes the right of way on the driveway that is another 2 acres X 3/10 mile long.
I went from 8 hours on the tractor, to 6 on the hydrostatic to 1.8 on the hour meter of the Bad Boy. I also have a 72" finish mower behind the Mahindra 35HP but it takes about 3 hours and tears up the tree bark trying to cut close. ZTR for the win.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had all three of the models. Lawn tractor manual shift, Garden tractor hydrostatic, and finally a Bad boy 60" ZTR on 3+ acres with over 40 trees and sometimes the right of way on the driveway that is another 2 acres X 3/10 mile long.
I went from 8 hours on the tractor, to 6 on the hydrostatic to 1.8 on the hour meter of the Bad Boy. I also have a 72" finish mower behind the Mahindra 35HP but it takes about 3 hours and tears up the tree bark trying to cut close. ZTR for the win.
I know you knew what I meant; I was saying that for the benefit of others who might not have played with tractors.

BTW, I might be interested in that finish mower (I'd be even more interested in a flail mower), or any other Cat I stuff you have floating around. I use a Mahindra 3316 HST at home and love it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know you knew what I meant; I was saying that for the benefit of others who might not have played with tractors.

BTW, I might be interested in that finish mower (I'd be even more interested in a flail mower), or any other Cat I stuff you have floating around. I use a Mahindra 3316 HST at home and love it.
The mower stays. Its a pull behind, not a three point, and if you ever have to make that decision, do not get the three point.
It takes an hour to go around a tree, going back and forth because if you circle the tree it goes away from it. The pull behind circles the tree because the pivot point is the drawbar. The operator just has to keep it far enough away to not scrape the base of the tree that injures it. The three point mows about 2-3" high. If you have small trees in there, they become tire punchers. Finish mower is flush to the ground up to 6" for mine raised by hydraulics.
I've got a 6' tiller, 6' disk, 7' blade, 3' savanna, two bottom plow, middle buster, and the trail behind mower. Also have an antique 8' horse drawn Adams Road Patrol #4 road grader I've modified to use the tractor that does an incredible job of smoothing out our driveway that is gravel, and 3/10 mile long. Makes it like glass and crowns it for drainage as it's adjustable anyway one wants although its all manual adjustable.
Tried to buy dozens of those over the years parked in yards and fields but nobody wants to sell them. Steel wheel vintage with wood wheel bearings.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I recognize that the ZTR's are quick workers, when we had places with acreages, we always had a garden tractor of some size. Especially so on the 5 acre place we had, it was really handy to do the little jobs around, even the string trimming. I'd load the trimmer and extra gas and strings and head out to the fence lines. Saved a lot of steps.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mowing inclines with a regular zero turn mower isn't advised since the front casters don't get traction so just get a 4 wheel steer Zero Turn. Cub Cadet and Toro sells them.
I've used a Cub Cadet RZT S42 for 7 yrs and no trouble mowing lengthwise down the drainage ditch in front.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mow 5 acres, 80 or so trees in the front yard, 3 in the back. 2002 Dixon 60" ztr, older JD 650 2 CY diesel with 60" three point finish mower on the back. (three blades) Both have over 400 hours ea, much of it at night. Had to replace the belts on the Dixon one time and keep the oil changed. That is the second one I have owned. If you can find an older one in reasonable good shape, I would take a good look at it. JMO

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you were on my place with over 40 trees, you would really appreciate a ZTR. 60" Bad Boy here with 28 HP Kohler.
My buddy in the same situation with two more acres bought a grasshopper 72" front deck with a diesel. That is one grass eating MoFo!
Yep. I bought a Toro though. Best move I've made when it came to lawn care.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as ztr mowers on hilly terrain, I'd say it definitely depends on how big a ztr you've got. We've got a 60" kubota diesel ztr that I mow pretty daggum steep ditches with and it doesn't slip or "twist" a bit. But, it weighs a bunch and seems to have a really strong hydraulic system. I knew a guy once upon a time that had a poulan ztr with all kids of weights tied to it cuz he was determined to make it mow his ditch. Never worked out. I was up to the Tulsa farm show last week and saw some ztr mowers with tracks. I think the brand was Altoz.

Latest posts

Top Bottom