Zion National Park

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This trip wasn't so much for seeing much of the park as it was to just be scouting. We didn't even get up into the canyon itself. Primarily, we went to St. George, Utah to find where the wife was scheduled to have a mammogram and a bone density test. If one goes to St. George via Zion, one has to pay a $30 fee unless one has something like the government's Senior Pass, and then it is a free trip.

The wife said she would drive so that I could take pictures as we went along. However, I royally messed up by not using my Nikkor 14-24mm wide angle lens. Instead, I used my Nikkor 28-300mm lens, so my pictures didn't get as much of the country as I would have liked. However, our youngest son is flying out next month for his vacation, so we will get a chance to go back and I will definitely use my wide angle more.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Going on the Mount Carmel to Zion road, one has to go through a 1.1 mile tunnel that was built way back in the 1930's. It is a fairly narrow, two lane tunnel, so if vehicles get over a certain size, they have to have a permit to go through the tunnel. And, if they are big enough, they have to close the traffic from the other direction so that the oversized vehicle can go through by straddling the center line. Anything that is 13'1" tall can't go through at all. Because the tunnel is fairly narrow, when a vehicle going the opposite direction from us neared the center line, the wife moved right and rubbed our tires on the curb that is at the edge of the road. She doesn't like that tunnel now, so any future trips through will require me to drive.

The window in the wall of the mountain in this picture is one of three that are along that 1.1 miles of tunnel.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't look to me like you messed up; they're beautiful pictures.

Since you mentioned that, I ought to go out and set the camera on a tripod and take pictures of the same subjects, but with both the wide angle and the long zoom. The long zoom isn't bad with its wide setting at 28mm, but there is a pretty big difference between it and the 14mm on the wide angle.

Nothing else is planned for today, so maybe I ought to go do that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom