ZTR Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to replace my 48" JD rider with a ZTR. We have roughly 2-3 acres to mow with lots of trees. Probably zeroing in on a 54" because of the trees.

Here's my short list for manufacturers:
  • Bad Boy (dealer's 10 minutes away)
  • Hustler (dealer's 10 minutes away)
  • Ferris (dealer's 30 minutes away)
Budget is roughly $5k.

Thanks!

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a hustler and have had no issues with it. What I would look for are hydraulic pumps that are not built into or part of the wheel motors. My wheel motors and pumps are single units, one for each wheel. I think this is standard on a residential level equipment and may not be in this price range, but that is where I would start.

Also, stay away from Kohler motors. I pulled apart my aunts 26 hp kohler hat had less than 400 hours and found the crank rides directly on the aluminum engine housing and it doesn’t use any kind of bushing or bearing. I will post a diagram showing this if I can find it again. She has a Gravely, which is a bullet proof mower. Why they use a junky motor, I will never know. Ask the dealer what the life expectancy is for a kohler. If they are honest, they will tell you 500 hours. Stick with Kawasaki engines!

Also, get a thick steel fabricated deck.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Hustler Fastrak 48" for going on 5 years. The mower is "mostly" commercial with only a few differences, the Kawasaki engine is outstanding, but I have had some issues with the deck that my dealer says have been resolved in newer models. Highly recommend buying the most mower you can afford with long or lifetime warranty deck and Kawasaki engine.

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a hustler and have had no issues with it. What I would look for are hydraulic pumps that are not built into or part of the wheel motors. My wheel motors and pumps are single units, one for each wheel. I think this is standard on a residential level equipment and may not be in this price range, but that is where I would start.

Also, stay away from Kohler motors. I pulled apart my aunts 26 hp kohler hat had less than 400 hours and found the crank rides directly on the aluminum engine housing and it doesn’t use any kind of bushing or bearing. I will post a diagram showing this if I can find it again. She has a Gravely, which is a bullet proof mower. Why they use a junky motor, I will never know. Ask the dealer what the life expectancy is for a kohler. If they are honest, they will tell you 500 hours. Stick with Kawasaki engines!

Also, get a thick steel fabricated deck.

Yeah I'd already decided to avoid the Kohler engines in favor of the Kawasaki. I have been reading some reviews that a positive about the Vanguard.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If for nothing else...

i1.ytimg.com_vi_Ht2ehJHfJs0_maxresdefault.jpg

bad-boy-mowers-what-does-mallory-love-large-1.jpg

i.ytimg.com_vi_S1kz7BLaaKc_maxresdefault.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a 60” BAd Boy for 6 summers now with the Koehler commercial 28hp engine.
Other than replacing blades, I’ve had zero issues.
We have 41 trees in a 3 acre yard and every two weeks, mow the right of way our drive is on that is an additional acre.

Latest posts

Top Bottom