ZTR vs. Lawn Tractor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carry over from my home purchasing saga thread...

ZTR vs. Lawn Tractor for a 2.5 acre homesite, with maybe 1/2 of that requiring regular mowing.

Does the speed and durability of a quality ZTR outweigh the multi-usefulness and comparably low cost of a lawn tractor?

I have neither at the moment...a push mower does my little suburban lot just fine. Once upon at time in another location, I had a lawn tractor and the ability to tow a dump trailer, sprayer etc was nice, but it cut slow. Can a ZTR be used for that? My impression is they are super specialized mowing monsters with little ability to incorporate other attachments.

FRISKY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both. The John Deere lawn tractor has a small forward blade that is only used to push dirt and snow. It doesn't get used for anything else. The ZTR (Dixie Chopper) pulls a sprayer, tows trailers around the lot, pulls an aerator and a lawn roll and cuts grass six times faster that the lawn tractor.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ZTR mowers are amazing at what they do, cut grass quickly.
A ZTR mower will cut your mowing time in half.

They have limited towing capability though.
You can pull a light cart or maybe a hopper fertilizer occasionally but that is about it for most of them.
I get the impression it is not only because of the use of caster wheels but also the hydrostatic motors are engineered specifically for the weight of the mower and deck.

ZTR isn't great on a slope either.
I used one on a 13 degree slope at my old place but you are forced to mow in a particular way to keep the casters pointed uphill and that negates some of the speed advantage of the ZTR.
Hopefully you property is a lot flatter than mine was.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I replaced my 17 year old New Holland with a 60" deck, with a Hustler Raptor SD with a 60" deck. I regret not getting one MUCH sooner. It's like night and day.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I built a detachable rack that mounts above the motor of my ztr and uses a single boomless spray nozzle. I put a 15 gallon atv spray tank on the rack. Most of the time I use my tractor, booms and big tank though.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 48" toro commercial. Just had to replace the motor. Had at least 1500 hours on it. Put a new 24 hp B&S commercial turf on in place of the outgoing 19hp Kawasaki. The commercial zero turns have decks and hydrostatic motors that will last a very long time. I haven't seen a rider with a really good deck in years. Most of the time the riders, the engine and trans are still good even though the deck is junk.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple more points:

Before I spent big money on a new ZTR I spent many hours on lawnsite.
It's a specialized forum for professionals in the mowing and landscape business.

Condensed down to 2 points I learned:

Stay away from stamped decks and buy only welded/fabricated decks
The stamped decks just won't hold up well.
I ended up buying a Hustler FasTrak with a top notch welded deck.
Hustler is known as semi-professional grade. The deck and engine are professional grade.

Avoid buying from box retail stores like Lowes and HD. Buy from a local lawn equipment dealer.
First of all the box retail mowers will likely have stamped decks.
Second, if the mower breaks down in prime mowing season, even under warranty, you could be out of commission for a month.
The local lawn equipment dealers will support their customers and get you back up and mowing much faster.

I bought my Hustler from Mike's Lawn Equipment in Harrah.
Bonus: Mike's is in the country so there are no city sales tax, just state sales tax. 4.5% if I remember correctly.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A couple more points:

Before I spent big money on a new ZTR I spent many hours on lawnsite.
It's a specialized forum for professionals in the mowing and landscape business.

Condensed down to 2 points I learned:

Stay away from stamped decks and buy only welded/fabricated decks
The stamped decks just won't hold up well.
I ended up buying a Hustler FasTrak with a top notch welded deck.
Hustler is known as semi-professional grade. The deck and engine are professional grade.

Avoid buying from box retail stores like Lowes and HD. Buy from a local lawn equipment dealer.
First of all the box retail mowers will likely have stamped decks.
Second, if the mower breaks down in prime mowing season, even under warranty, you could be out of commission for a month.
The local lawn equipment dealers will support their customers and get you back up and mowing much faster.

I bought my Hustler from Mike's Lawn Equipment in Harrah.
Bonus: Mike's is in the country so there are no city sales tax, just state sales tax. 4.5% if I remember correctly.

That's a heck of a ride! I'd love to have gotten a FasTrak, but couldn't justify the extra cost over the Raptor SD for what I have to mow.

Like you, I spent TONS of time on reviews and forums before buying. When you're spending that much on something you'll own for that long, it's time well spent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom