Malinois puppy! šŸ„°šŸ„°šŸ„°

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have two: guy in the driverā€™s seat is insane and mean. Guy on the couch is insane and sweet as he can be. Driverā€™s seat is great with me and wife, but no one else. Wife has worked many hours with him- I just run with him and take him fishing. Great dogsView attachment 479128View attachment 479129
Have you had them since pups? How were they to train?

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have the more civil version, Groenendahl. Our latest is a boy who has an extreme competitive drive. He will take you down on the way to the disc/ball. And feel bad about it later. Requires hours of exercise each day. Can run for an hour. He is very sweet in the house. Will jump above my head to grab the toy from my hand. He has gotten over his prey drive, will now watch the rabbits play in the field/yard. Leaves the skunks alone. One lesson, full on result. One of the three most intelligent we have ever owned in 40 years. Would NOT want to be on the bad side, and he is tame versus the Malinois.

Years ago we watched a Mal for a week. Good boy, gentle with us and really wanted to please. Listened well. Had a prey drive, real hard drive. Killed birds, cats, ran off bobcats and coyotes. I am sure he would have killed those if they had stood ground. I hope his new home went well for him. I never knew.

My Australian Shepherd allows nothing to live in his domain except skunks, he tried two of them, killing one! Now on skunks he comes to get me! But everything else even butterflies are not allowed.

He has such a high energy runoff that requires minimum two Frisbee or ball sessions rain sleet or snow. Cooler days upwards of 4 sessions.

We have been thinking on getting him a buddy to hang with, help with the energy! We have not had a dog in 20 years till him, but we had several Blue and Red Healers that worked our farm, and there is still a half dozen on the farm my bro and dad live on.

I had forgotten the joy that dogs bring, kinda pissed we went so long without them. But I also made bad decisions in my youth years and not proud of it, but I fought dogs for a number of years. I enjoy training dogs. I trained all our working dogs while growing up on the farm to gather cattle, loading chutes and a calf roping arena. We would run between 4 and 5 hundred head of just roping calves a year through the ropings we had, and a few hundred big cows.

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have two: guy in the driverā€™s seat is insane and mean. Guy on the couch is insane and sweet as he can be. Driverā€™s seat is great with me and wife, but no one else. Wife has worked many hours with him- I just run with him and take him fishing. Great dogsView attachment 479128View attachment 479129

Iā€™d imagine even the ā€œcouchā€ one would tear a guy up if he walked up and slapped at you or your wife!!

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I trained these dogs for 10yrs when I was in the military. Best working breed on the planet and you canā€™t change my mind.

Depends on what is ā€œworkingā€ I would imagine on sheep/cows they may be to rough to use, to easily excitable to function well. Takes a smart aggressive but calm dog to work cattle/sheep.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you had them since pups? How were they to train?
Had old boy since he was 8 weeks. My wife had lots of time when he was younger, she does a really good job with training- but: he really didnā€™t get enough exposure to strange dogs and people, so that is something weā€™ll do with the next one.

Young guy is a rescue weā€™ve had since December.

I just took him for a run, heā€™s getting better.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had old boy since he was 8 weeks. My wife had lots of time when he was younger, she does a really good job with training- but: he really didnā€™t get enough exposure to strange dogs and people, so that is something weā€™ll do with the next one.

Young guy is a rescue weā€™ve had since December.

I just took him for a run, heā€™s getting better.
A rescue Malinois seems like a pretty bold move - kudos.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful intelligent dog.

Iā€™m too old to own one.
Iā€™m too lazy to own one.
Iā€™m too distracted to own one.

Unfortunately probably too many people with the same problems want or own one.
Unfortunately I feel somewhat the same, this is the type of Dog my wife and I are looking for:

Latest posts

Top Bottom