Solar panels for Dummies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont know the timeline but Solar panels have become WAY more efficient in recent years...over like the last 10 years I think. panels are smaller and generate alot more energy in that smaller package.
But for a barn or cabin, I agree. I would not use a 20 year old panel setup on my house.
But I still wouldn't ever buy them because the price makes the ROI longer than I'll be alive.
I agree with this but they can still put out some watts!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having our power go out twice for extended periods in the last few days, I’m starting to look harder at a small solar system to at least run the essentials. I have been considering a whole house generator, but my brother just spent $15k on his. I haven’t got deep enough in my research yet, but surely I could get into a solar system for less than that. :scratch:

Last edited:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having our power go out twice for extended periods twice in the last few days, I’m starting to look harder at a small solar system to at least run the essentials. I have been considering a whole house generator, but my brother just spent $15k on his. I haven’t got deep enough in my research yet, but surely I could get into a solar system for less than that. :scratch:
Our generac purchase and install was $17k. But I also had to have the wiring brought up to code.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our generac purchase and install was $17k. But I also had to have the wiring brought up to code.
I’ve been running on a 20+ year old 8000 watt Northstar, because my 15kw Generac portable has a carborator issue that I’ve drug my dang feet getting it fixed.:rolleyes2
I traded work for the Generac and am into it for basically nothing.

Frank Pope

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having our power go out twice for extended periods in the last few days, I’m starting to look harder at a small solar system to at least run the essentials. I have been considering a whole house generator, but my brother just spent $15k on his. I haven’t got deep enough in my research yet, but surely I could get into a solar system for less than that. :scratch:
Be sure to have your roof evaluated for the increased weight and call you insurance agent. Some companies will not insure houses with solar panels.

Latest posts

Top Bottom