FN 5.7x28.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowbudgetplinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear there are certain people who can own these guns like police officers, military, etc...... Is this true and if I were to ever run across one used could I own it legally as a civilian?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They aren't restricted, I've owned one, ran into another guy today that has one, see them for sale in the shops all the time.

It's a neat gun.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The pistol is not restricted. Just the AP ammo. FN has 5 or 6 diffrent loads for the pistol and the P90 all but two have been restricted by the BATF to LE and military use only.

The ammo for the civilian market WILL NOT penetrate Level IIA and Level IIIA Kevlar, Kevlar 129 or Spectra vests, contrary to popular myth put originated by misguided politicians and gun control advocates trying to advance their agenda. Ballistically, the 5.7 round is very similar to the .22 WMR (Winchester Magnum Rimfire) round.

lowbudgetplinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pistol is not restricted. Just the AP ammo. FN has 5 or 6 diffrent loads for the pistol and the P90 all but two have been restricted by the BATF to LE and military use only.

The ammo for the civilian market WILL NOT penetrate Level IIA and Level IIIA Kevlar, Kevlar 129 or Spectra vests, contrary to popular myth put originated by misguided politicians and gun control advocates trying to advance their agenda. Ballistically, the 5.7 round is very similar to the .22 WMR (Winchester Magnum Rimfire) round.

Ok next question would be could it be used effectively as a ccw considering it has a 20+1 capacity? I know it's a little over kill with its capacity but you never know. I currently carry a S&W 4516TSW.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought the jury was still out on whether the original SS190 met the legal definition of AP:

18 USC 921(a)(17) said:
(B) The term "armor piercing ammunition" means -
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a
handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence
of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of
tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or
depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber
designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a
weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the
projectile.

Of course, I haven't taken apart a round and weighed it. ;) Still, one could just handload some plain old lead core FMJ and get pretty much the same effect, right?

Latest posts

Top Bottom