Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default .223 Load Help....69 gr Sierra HPBT Match w/ Varget Powder

I loaded a few and tested them today with 25.5 gr varget and they seem pretty hot. Primers are flat. Chrono'd at 2835 fps average for 3 shots. I think I am a little hot. The group was not that great either. Close to 2" at 100 yrds. Anybody got any experience with this bullet? I am shooting this out of a DPMS 3G1 AR rifle.
    Go Pokes!

Default Re: .223 Load Help....69 gr Sierra HPBT Match w/ Varget Powder

That is my pet load when using Varget. I'm still using Data 2200 until I run out of it. It's no longer made. I never saw any pressure problems.

That really isn't that hot of a load for a NATO chamber. I would be shocked if you couldn't find something that shot better than 2 moa with the 69grn SMK. It's a good bullet. Have you tried any other powders with your setup?

I'd go down a grain and try it once more. If it still isn't satisfactory, I'd be switching powders.

Try lower. I'm using 24.0 to 24.4 grains of varget with 69 gn sierra's and getting 3/4 to 1 inch (5 shot) groups shooting with a bipod and rear sand bag.

I hand weigh each charge and sort brass by weight but no other fancy steps. I don't turn the necks or anything like that.

I'm using a 24 inch 1-9 colt.
    Loving life with an M4 in my hands.......

Addicted to glocks and high priced custom 1911's.

I run 24.1 grains of Varget when I use it. I have switched to CFE-223 because it meters so well and actually does keep it clean. I would tell you to go down in charge since you are just punching paper. I do use those same boolits.

Thanks guys. I am using a micrometer adjustable powder measure so went down a click and loaded 4, dropped another and loaded 4 and one more time. Heading out in a minute to see how these group. I had never heard of the CFE-223 powder. I will check into that and see if any is available.
    Go Pokes!

If you find any CFE 223 let us know. I have been wanting some more.
    "okietom's feedback"

"If we are to continue to have the freedoms that came of the inspiration of the Almighty to our Founding Fathers, we must return to the God who is their true Author." Gordon B Hinckley

I'm still hanging with the .55 grain. I've killed lots of deer with it.
    I'm not biased

Quote Originally Posted by JB Books View Post
    DennisShoddy is the 12th Imam
    Common sense is not a Gift....
    Its a punishment, because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
    to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

In my experience 223 is extremely sensitive to case volume when reloading AKA the case weight.
    25.5gn Varget is what I use for my service match rifle feeding from magazine, but I use Lake City brass weight sorted 92.5gn. This is on the far light side of available brass and that's the reason I'm using it; any other brass will have much smaller internal case capacity (I've seen cases in 110gn range) and therefore the load has to be alot lighter.
    My Feedback
    ABEL Racing - Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Glocktogo View Post
    There's nothing quite so sweet as the raging impotence of a gun banner

I've had good results with 24.2 grains of Varget with that bullet out of a 16" AR barrel. I've had better results using 22.5 grains of TAC.

24.2 of Varget was getting around 2600 fps and around 1 moa groups. Tac was getting around 2600 fps and 0.5 to 0.75 moa groups.

I got to test the other loads today and the lightest one, 25.1 gr varget, tightened the group up and seem less harsh. I loaded 150 rds with that today and will see how it shoots at longer range. Thanks for all the input guys.
    Go Pokes!

Hmm, I run 26.2gns in an SPS Tactical with the 69 SMKs and get bugholes. This is out of Winchester brass and CCI BR4's. Silly accurate to 500.
    "Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie??"

Proud NRA Member

Huckelberry75's Feedback Thread

Stick with the Varget and you'll find what your gun likes. 24g and Lake City brass and 69g HPBT shoot awesome out of my 16in AR
    "It's better to have a gun and not need it, then to need a gun and not have one"

My Feedback http://www.okshooters.com/showthread...=1#post1957812

Quote Originally Posted by okietom View Post
    If you find any CFE 223 let us know. I have been wanting some more.
    Just an FYI: I just bought a pound of CFE 223 at Jerry's Outdoors Supply in Tulsa.