Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Converting .223 brass to 300 BLK brass???

I chop with the mini table saw from harbor.. then I take the chamfer/deburrring tool to em before I resize just so its easier on my dies.. resize ..

then I take the wilson LE trimmer to them.

Pretty easy set up IMO , there are many ways to go about it.. I think ive got a couple thousand rounds converted on this set up. I love the wilson trimmer too, keeps them all uniform in spec.

Ok. Just to make sure I have this straight. Chop it, resize then trim.The only things I need are harbor freight chop saw, full length sizer die, seating die and a trimmer? Does it not need to be resized after the trim? Just wondering also, anybody found a good weight bullet for accurate groups? Thanks in advance.

Patron

Quote Originally Posted by theswan_33 View Post
    Ok. Just to make sure I have this straight. Chop it, resize then trim.The only things I need are harbor freight chop saw, full length sizer die, seating die and a trimmer? Does it not need to be resized after the trim? Just wondering also, anybody found a good weight bullet for accurate groups? Thanks in advance.
    It seems that the RCBS small base dies work better in my AR than other brands. So I case with. A lee die, but when I am ready to load I use the small base die from RCBS.

I do this for all my AR platform calibers.

i use a chop saw and cut the 223 just below the neck i made a jig to cut it to 1.370 so when i size it in the 300 die i really dont need to trim it ends up at 1.365 i chamfer and deburr and its ready to go

Patron

Quote Originally Posted by T-DUB View Post
    i use a chop saw and cut the 223 just below the neck i made a jig to cut it to 1.370 so when i size it in the 300 die i really dont need to trim it ends up at 1.365 i chamfer and deburr and its ready to go
    Got any pictures of your jig, or plans?

i have a crude video from my camera phone

i will pm you and give you my number to text to you the video

I cut my jig by drilling out a piece of plywood. Then sawing the plywood in half.

I will probably eventually buy one of these:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...?f=179&t=80842

I don't do much building of cases (just some simple case mouth conversions), but it appears that you are getting a wealth of good information.

I noticed that you are new to reloading.

Building the 300 brass is a bit like preparing for the final ascent of Everest without knowing what pitons are.

Not trying to breake your chops here, but please, please do enough reading and study to get the process firmly in mind. Go slow, and if something seems wrong, back up. I am going to guess that you will start with a progressive press, given the caliber you are into. This is another "running start." It can be done, but most folks start with a single stage press to get the basics down. Lyman's 49th? edition (latest anyhow) basic book is a good one.

If you can arrange to visit with someone who is well set up it will steepen your learning curve a lot.

There are numerous basic books on reloading. Your posts indicate that you have the basic mechanical skills to be a competent reloader. They also show the enthusiasm needed to get into this addictive process.

Patron

Quote Originally Posted by criticalbass View Post
    I don't do much building of cases (just some simple case mouth conversions), but it appears that you are getting a wealth of good information. I noticed that you are new to reloading. Building the 300 brass is a bit like preparing for the final ascent of Everest without knowing what pitons are. Not trying to breake your chops here, but please, please do enough reading and study to get the process firmly in mind. Go slow, and if something seems wrong, back up. I am going to guess that you will start with a progressive press, given the caliber you are into. This is another "running start." It can be done, but most folks start with a single stage press to get the basics down. Lyman's 49th? edition (latest anyhow) basic book is a good one. If you can arrange to visit with someone who is well set up it will steepen your learning curve a lot. There are numerous basic books on reloading. Your posts indicate that you have the basic mechanical skills to be a competent reloader. They also show the enthusiasm needed to get into this addictive process.

I'm willing to lend knowledge and practical advice on setups, procedure, or anything else that he has questions about.

After all this hobby is about continuously learning and sharing with others to keep our hobby growing. Or at least that's how I perceive it.