Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Smith and wesson model 18 no dash

Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Here's my original thread about this gun on the S&W forums. Blue book value is 10G, and ALL of them are in pretty much the same condition.

These guys actually keep a list of who owns which numbered gun. It's the rarest of the rare in the S&W realm.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-han...war-value.html

Tom
    that was a neat read.

Interesting factory adornments though (like the hammer).

I gotta admit, at a shop or show, I might have picked that up and looked at it, but would have figured it as over priced if it were anything over 6 or $700.

Pays to be informed!

Blog Entries

never say never when collecting SW revolvers.

I'd figure that SW 18 is nickled also. There is a rumor that a couple of SS 18's came out of the factory,, but I'd imagine they have been in a collection for years.
    press the red button... worth the effort and usually a lot of fun
    TIOCFAIDH AR LA!

Quote Originally Posted by Jefpainthorse View Post
    never say never when collecting SW revolvers.

I'd figure that SW 18 is nickled also. There is a rumor that a couple of SS 18's came out of the factory,, but I'd imagine they have been in a collection for years.
    This is true, S&W always has a surprise or two. Like Traxxis I would have thought the seller was a brick shy or two with a price like that. I tend to stay up on my S&W revolvers, but I don't get into all the collectables. As to S&W ever producing a model 18 in stainless steel, well they may have, and knowing S&W they may have a couple of hundred in their vault, it wouldn't surprise me, they have done this before.
    It is true that 1911ís will give you GAS (Gun Acquisition Syndrome).

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us."

The CONSTITUTION is worth the same now as it was 200 years ago. The price was courage, bravery, boldness, and yes sacrifice and even death...BUT it was and IS STILL WORTH IT!

Anti-Lock Evangelist

The funny thing is, that $9000.00 revolver was picked up for $250 from a friend, and hung in his shop for years on a hook, until he finally figured out what it was.

AND he's a gunsmith with the blue book on his shelf!!
    Fully Jacketed and Mildly Corrosive

Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    The funny thing is, that $9000.00 revolver was picked up for $250 from a friend, and hung in his shop for years on a hook, until he finally figured out what it was.

AND he's a gunsmith with the blue book on his shelf!!
    Not a bad investment at all! I, too, would have been fooled by this rare revolver and had no idea it was that valuable. Pays to check those serial numbers!
    Anti-Lock Evangelist #2

FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by higgimw View Post
    Greetings guys. I am looking at a Smith and Wesson model 18 no dash. It has never been fired and was part of a collection belonging to a now deceased gentleman. Here is my concern. It is stainless. Yes stainless. I have never seen one like that before or even heard of one. It has the original grips, No box, no paperwork, and they are asking quite a bit for it ( well over $800.00). I want the pistol for my wife, BUT I am just not sure of the price or the weapon. What can you tell me about this weapon?
    Pulling from the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson...

Model 18's were produced from 1949-1985, with the pre-'57 models called the K-22 Combat Masterpiece.

Some model 18 revolvers were made in stainless steel. A few were also made with a nickel finish. A very few were made in stainless but stamped as model 65 (all but one is believed to have been destroyed.)

The nickel finish was available, but not listed in the catalog. The 18 (with no dash) appears to place the date around 1957-59.

Value? Well, the Standard Catalog puts a "as new-in box" model 18 at about $4700 with a nickeled version at about 50% more. No box, in excellent condition is closer to $425 with 50% more for the nickel.

Let me know if there is anything else I can try to find for you.