08 F150 - 351lbs of torque!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was about to put a leveling kit on my 08 f150 yesterday. When I went out to get the torque values I was surprised to find out that the lower strut bolt calls for 351lbs of torque. Now getting it off won't be too bad I don't think with a big cheater bar and an impact, but I have no way to torque it back on. I can torque to 250 and i thought about doing that and just taking it a bit further. I'm sure some of you have done this before. Any input?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad (the engineer) told me that torque specs were really there to keep you from breaking/stripping the bolt/stud, but I'd still like to get as close as I can. Have you checked with AutoZone, O'Reilley's, or one of the other chains that rents tools? Looks like you'd need a 3/4" drive torque wrench to hit 351ft-lbs, but one of them ought to have one.

Harbor Freight has a cheapie 3/4" drive for $79.99 that would get you to 300ft-lbs (if you trust Chinese junk for that), but the decent ones that'll get you to 351ft-lbs are mucho dinero...

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
umm no its about clamping force....
...and exactly how much clamping force can you get from a broken bolt or stripped threads?

If you think about it, the torque specs give you the most effective clamping force without risk of breaking the bolt/stud or stripping the threads, so they are, effectively, there to prevent you from breaking the bolt/stud or stripping the threads.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can rent fron most auto parts stores a TQ wrench that goes to 400ftlb
You will need a 27mm and a 30mm socket .. the 30 i think needs to be deep well

But different years may need different size sockets ,, I usually get the odd ball vehicle where nothing fits like it should.

Rent the tool. free rent just have to have deposit funds that you will get back when you return the tool.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my Ingersol-Rand cordless 1/2" impact gun goes to 1000 ft lbs. for removal. things is bad ass. Only use it when I absolutely have to, it's a beast.

As for the "engineering" statement, uh, no. Clamping force, period. It has nothing to do with stripping the threads. If your fastener is not up to the task of whatever you are asking it to do, then you need a higher grade fastener or larger diameter. In reality, the torque spec is actually an extrapolation of fastener stretch, which is a better indicator of clamping load, but in most cases stretch it too difficult to measure.

http://www.portlandbolt.com/technical/faqs/tension-vs-torque-explained-sort-of/

Latest posts

Top Bottom