10 things you learn by carrying a gun every day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julez

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have my license on the way, my minituck arriving today, and plenty of practice with my kahr CW9. This article definitely provides insight into what I'll soon be experiencing.

Reaction score
Great read. I especially agree with #4 (below). I have encountered so many people who spend $500+ on their carry gun but then buy the cheapest holster they can get their hands on. Inevitably, after a short time of carrying on a regular basis they end up breaking or hating that cheap holster and buy something with substantial quality.

"4. The value of a good holster.

Once you have a solid foundation with a proper belt, you need to continue building on that with equal quality. A good holster does three things:

A holster helps you access your gun quickly, easily, and safely. It will hold your gun in a fixed position. If you ever need to reach for your gun, it will be exactly where you expect. It won’t move around and you won’t have to constantly check the position of your gun.
It protects the trigger. By necessity, you may have to find and grip your gun quickly while under stress. A safe holster keeps the trigger completely protected until you have a proper, and safe, grip. Many things in your daily routine (chairs, seat belts, keys, etc.) have the potential to push through clothing hard enough to move the trigger.
It ensures that your gun remains under your control. Retention features in a holster aren’t just for law enforcement professionals. Make sure you invest in a holster that will keep your gun secure through your range of daily activity whether that includes getting in and out of cars, working outside or any other sort of physical activity."

Jrmccarty512

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As someone who spent 6 years are a police officer I would give this as number 11 rule to know, I was told this when I was a rookie and I will share this.

#11 Lawyers are paid well to be good at their job, if you use your firearm even if it is righteous wait for your lawyer before speaking. Everyone goes to the police station after a shooting it is just a matter of getting to leave the police station or not depending on if the shooting was justified. I think I would want someone with my best interest deciding what I should or shouldnt tell.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes.. It is amazing how clueless people are. I swear, you could IWB carry a 1/2" Dewalt hammer drill with nothing but a t-shirt and nobody would even notice.

It took me a while to figure it out:
1. People are indeed clueless or in their own world.
2. Dudes don't look in the vicinity of other dudes junk.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As someone who spent 6 years are a police officer I would give this as number 11 rule to know, I was told this when I was a rookie and I will share this.

#11 Lawyers are paid well to be good at their job, if you use your firearm even if it is righteous wait for your lawyer before speaking. Everyone goes to the police station after a shooting it is just a matter of getting to leave the police station or not depending on if the shooting was justified. I think I would want someone with my best interest deciding what I should or shouldnt tell.

You are correct, once the police arrive, at the most tell them you'll be willing to talk to them once you have calmed down an spoken to your lawyer. If you do have to speak, say nothing more than you were in fear of your life and the lives of your family.

Latest posts

Top Bottom