1911: Kimbers and S&W's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why is it there are far more Kimber 1911's for sale on here than S&W E-Series 1911's? It seems there's at least one Kimber being peddled in the Classifieds each week, yet I can't remember the last time someone offered an E-Series on here. I'll be looking to buy a round-butt 1911SC Commander style 1911, and just now noticed this discrepancy. Any thoughts? Does Kimber really make that many more 1911's than S&W?

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why is it there are far more Kimber 1911's for sale on here than S&W E-Series 1911's? It seems there's at least one Kimber being peddled in the Classifieds each week, yet I can't remember the last time someone offered an E-Series on here. I'll be looking to buy a round-butt 1911SC Commander style 1911, and just now noticed this discrepancy. Any thoughts? Does Kimber really make that many more 1911's than S&W?

Maybe that many more people are happy with their smith than their kimber?

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be in the market for an e series soon as well. I would guess more kimbers are bought and subsequently sold because the name.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally think because Kimber sells more 1911s. I own a kimber and love it, problem free. I own a Ruger 1911 love it and it is problem free. Never owned a Smith but the E series looks nice. Though for the money, I think I would rather have a kimber.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think because S & W makes so many different weapons, to try to find a special model is a wait until they do a run of them. Unlike Kimber, that does mainly 1911's they do not have to tool up as much for a different model. Yes I know they are producing rifles now, but those are limited runs. This is just my opinion, from talking to Kimber reps and S & W reps.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kimber, I believe, produces more 1911s than all of the others combined or something like that. Either way, their numbers are WAAAAY higher than anyone else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom