2022 Deer Pics/Chatter/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
82676530-24F5-43FB-B701-99CD4B202558.jpeg
Seen this buck on the side of the road someone cut his head off big bodied deer

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The start of my AZ to OK drive for rifle season is just a week away! It will be my first Midwest Whitetail hunt. I’m hoping the 168 acres of bottom land I bought in McIntosh county will not disappoint. My game camera traffic is way down; maybe the feeder quit working again :-(.

My collection of deer-worthy rifles is small. For the ground blind near a corn broadcast feeder and a couple of tree-mounted block feeders, I’m thinking to use a .300 BLK bull pup (Tavor with a 1-8 Vortex Razor LPVO) after some quick and stealthy feeder and camera maintenance, and perhaps throwing down some attractant. That rifle should work good within the confines of a blind, and likely won’t doom me to tracking much at those distances. When I can’t stand the blind anymore, or the wind is wrong, I’ll quietly walk the pecan/oak/walnut groves along wet weather creek beds looking for deer and sign (and wishing RM was there to teach me his secrets). I plan on carrying my 6.5 CM then (Tikka with a nice Vortex 2-12). I have three ponds to check and the forested shoreline of about 10 acres of Lake Eufaula backwater on the property. All the time, I’ll be looking for a better place to put my broadcast feeder (after getting 1000 lb of corn out of it) and/or where to put a really big gravity protein feeder. For the Coues deer my son and I have taken, 6.5 CM is always a bang-flop situation. I like them to drop where shot, but I think I’ll leave my .300 WinMag (Rem 700 5R) in AZ. Sound like a plan?
Don't overthink killing a whitetail. I've taken many with a .55 grain soft point from a standard AR platform in 5.56.
You just have to do your part and put the bullet where it belongs.
I love pistol shooting as well. The .45ACP has taken two, the .45 colt one and .44 mag, several.
Leave the .300 win mag home unless you're shooting over a bean field.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't overthink killing a whitetail. I've taken many with a .55 grain soft point from a standard AR platform in 5.56.
You just have to do your part and put the bullet where it belongs.
I love pistol shooting as well. The .45ACP has taken two, the .45 colt one and .44 mag, several.
Leave the .300 win mag home unless you're shooting over a bean field.
Thanks; my Kriss Vector SDP. 45 ACP shares a double M4 case with the Tavor. Will have to take a deer with it someday, too. I have all those revolvers too :-)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hunt the doe, they say. The girls will bring the boys in, they say. Well, I froze my tail off this morning watching 9 doe and only saw one scraggly basket racked buck. Sitting a half mile away in a different stand now, watching 11 doe chow on this food plot. No bucks in sight!

I know I have bucks on this place and not a single one is cruising for chickies. Not a single doe is on alert. Rut just ain’t happenin here yet.
It's happening somewhere nearby though and that's where your bucks are lol.
The start of my AZ to OK drive for rifle season is just a week away! It will be my first Midwest Whitetail hunt. I’m hoping the 168 acres of bottom land I bought in McIntosh county will not disappoint. My game camera traffic is way down; maybe the feeder quit working again :-(.

My collection of deer-worthy rifles is small. For the ground blind near a corn broadcast feeder and a couple of tree-mounted block feeders, I’m thinking to use a .300 BLK bull pup (Tavor with a 1-8 Vortex Razor LPVO) after some quick and stealthy feeder and camera maintenance, and perhaps throwing down some attractant. That rifle should work good within the confines of a blind, and likely won’t doom me to tracking much at those distances. When I can’t stand the blind anymore, or the wind is wrong, I’ll quietly walk the pecan/oak/walnut groves along wet weather creek beds looking for deer and sign (and wishing RM was there to teach me his secrets). I plan on carrying my 6.5 CM then (Tikka with a nice Vortex 2-12). I have three ponds to check and the forested shoreline of about 10 acres of Lake Eufaula backwater on the property. All the time, I’ll be looking for a better place to put my broadcast feeder (after getting 1000 lb of corn out of it) and/or where to put a really big gravity protein feeder. For the Coues deer my son and I have taken, 6.5 CM is always a bang-flop situation. I like them to drop where shot, but I think I’ll leave my .300 WinMag (Rem 700 5R) in AZ. Sound like a plan?
I would use the .300wm or the 6.5 in every circumstance. Corn may not see much action, they're chasing and screwing and not eating much right now. Next year if possible, be here last week or this week with a bow or crossbow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom