2022 Deer Pics/Chatter/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hunted hard yesterday morning, climbed up the side of a good sized mountain and stayed until 11:30. Saw tons of deer and shot 2 hogs, who oddly enough were way up on the very top of the mountain above me. I didn’t plan to hunt yesterday evening, but the farmers hired hand called and said he had gathered cattle off one of their places and he watched a BUNCH of deerrun onto their other property. My son pestered me until I agreed to grab my gear and head out.

My stand at the property is in a draw, between a pond and a wheat field. I have to cross a large wheat field in the truck to get to the area where the farmer likes me to park. Because I arrived late in the afternoon, there were already 25+ deer on the wheat, including 2 nice bucks. I pulled through the gate, parked in the shade, and started glassing to see what the deer were in the field. Right away I spotted 2 nice bucks and one of them was a definite shooter, but they were a long ways from me. My wind was blowing directly to ALL the deer I could see, and I had no clue how to get closer. I kinda thought to myself “what the heck, let’s see what happens” so I pulled my truck next to an abandoned house just inside the property, got out and began putting on all my orange…. Getting my gun out of the truck and loading it….. grabbing my binoculars again…… and the big shooter was still there. My rangefinder wouldn’t give me a reading, so I used onX to getting an approximate distance to the buck. 375 was my best guess. I knew I had no prayer of getting any closer, so I laid down on my belly, flipped out my bipods, and let the 300wsm bark. The big buck and 2 does ran east about 100 yards when I shot, and I immediately thought I missed. I racked another shell into my gun, and got back on the scope. When I found him again in the scope, he turned around and began going west again and I could plainly see blood spewing profusely from his side. He got wobbly in his backend and went down. He’s by far my biggest buck. Gross green score 170 4/8” and this is the first time we had ever seen him. No pictures of him (we’re running 3 cell cams in the area) and no sightings of any kind. I’m super proud of him, obviously. My wife not so much…. This is taxidermy bill #3 for our family this year 😬 but I wouldn’t change any of it for the world.
271DE574-74A5-4BEB-AE4A-CA0B516AB48C.jpeg
0C7A8A8B-346A-47E0-B8AE-4B90E2F4B5D1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunted hard yesterday morning, climbed up the side of a good sized mountain and stayed until 11:30. Saw tons of deer and shot 2 hogs, who oddly enough were way up on the very top of the mountain above me. I didn’t plan to hunt yesterday evening, but the farmers hired hand called and said he had gathered cattle off one of their places and he watched a BUNCH of deerrun onto their other property. My son pestered me until I agreed to grab my gear and head out.

My stand at the property is in a draw, between a pond and a wheat field. I have to cross a large wheat field in the truck to get to the area where the farmer likes me to park. Because I arrived late in the afternoon, there were already 25+ deer on the wheat, including 2 nice bucks. I pulled through the gate, parked in the shade, and started glassing to see what the deer were in the field. Right away I spotted 2 nice bucks and one of them was a definite shooter, but they were a long ways from me. My wind was blowing directly to ALL the deer I could see, and I had no clue how to get closer. I kinda thought to myself “what the heck, let’s see what happens” so I pulled my truck next to an abandoned house just inside the property, got out and began putting on all my orange…. Getting my gun out of the truck and loading it….. grabbing my binoculars again…… and the big shooter was still there. My rangefinder wouldn’t give me a reading, so I used onX to getting an approximate distance to the buck. 375 was my best guess. I knew I had no prayer of getting any closer, so I laid down on my belly, flipped out my bipods, and let the 300wsm bark. The big buck and 2 does ran east about 100 yards when I shot, and I immediately thought I missed. I racked another shell into my gun, and got back on the scope. When I found him again in the scope, he turned around and began going west again and I could plainly see blood spewing profusely from his side. He got wobbly in his backend and went down. He’s by far my biggest buck. Gross green score 170 4/8” and this is the first time we had ever seen him. No pictures of him (we’re running 3 cell cams in the area) and no sightings of any kind. I’m super proud of him, obviously. My wife not so much…. This is taxidermy bill #3 for our family this year 😬 but I wouldn’t change any of it for the world.View attachment 321829View attachment 321830
Awesome Buck congratulations what ammo was you using I have a 300wsm also

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

My stand at the property is in a draw, between a pond and a wheat field. I have to cross a large wheat field in the truck to get to the area where the farmer likes me to park. Because I arrived late in the afternoon, there were already 25+ deer on the wheat, including 2 nice bucks. I pulled through the gate, parked in the shade, and started glassing to see what the deer were in the field. Right away I spotted 2 nice bucks and one of them was a definite shooter, but they were a long ways from me. My wind was blowing directly to ALL the deer I could see, and I had no clue how to get closer. I kinda thought to myself “what the heck, let’s see what happens” so I pulled my truck next to an abandoned house just inside the property, got out and began putting on all my orange…. Getting my gun out of the truck and loading it….. grabbing my binoculars again…… and the big shooter was still there. My rangefinder wouldn’t give me a reading, so I used onX to getting an approximate distance to the buck. 375 was my best guess. I knew I had no prayer of getting any closer, so I laid down on my belly, flipped out my bipods, and let the 300wsm bark. The big buck and 2 does ran east about 100 yards when I shot, and I immediately thought I missed. I racked another shell into my gun, and got back on the scope. When I found him again in the scope, he turned around and began going west again and I could plainly see blood spewing profusely from his side. He got wobbly in his backend and went down. He’s by far my biggest buck. Gross green score 170 4/8” and this is the first time we had ever seen him. No pictures of him (we’re running 3 cell cams in the area) and no sightings of any kind. I’m super proud of him, obviously. My wife not so much…. This is taxidermy bill #3 for our family this year 😬 but I wouldn’t change any of it for the world.View attachment 321829View attachment 321830
Holy Cow id quit right there. Fantastic Buck

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

NICE BUCK! CONGRATS

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on the nice bucks everyone. Been battling the flu for a couple days and hopefully I’ll be back in the woods soon. I did get a nice boost from the mailman today as my new knife arrived. Got a knife from Shawn Shropshire of SDS Knifeworks out of Piedmont. Looks great and is sharp. Hopefully we get to put it to use in the near future. Buckeye Burl and D2 steel with a sheath he made.
A26925D5-0014-481F-9B82-C1FE161DD05C.jpeg
9D5E1093-836C-4496-BF6C-E5B9EC4DA60A.jpeg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Heck of a buck!!! Congrats!!! :thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom