2022 Deer Pics/Chatter/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is 3 days ago. Waiting to see one in the daylight.

Attachments

• IMG_20221109_134234~2.jpg
    IMG_20221109_134234~2.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 0

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m kind of in the dog house with my family for shooting the buck on Tuesday, and I’ve debated sharing this.
As I said in the post with my buck, I went old school on my east TX hunt with no corn and no camera, so I literally had no idea what was on or around the place.
For a little history, the place I was on is a 400 acre tract that connect to my Mother’s place (200 acres), and we’ve had permission to hunt it for over 25 years. I used to live within a 4 wheeler ride of the place, but when I bought the new place which is 20 miles away, I pretty much quit hunting over there.
My brother and niece only hunt in my Mother’s pasture (literally 100 yards behind her house and within sight of his house) which is at least 3/4 to a mile from where I was hunting, and I set up where I did to keep from messing up their spot. I called my brother last week and specifically asked him if they had any bucks on camera that he wanted me to pass. He only told me about one buck with split g2’s, and Saturday, I passed a buck with a split g2’s which I found out afterwards wasn’t even the same buck he had seen.
Fast forward, I kill my buck on Tuesday morning and send my brother a picture, and he tells me that he has pictures of him and told my niece that he wasn’t old enough and wasn’t a shooter. I wasn’t very nice with my reply and told him that if he thought that buck wasn’t a shooter he needs to quit hunting and take up golf.
My brother took the pictures and helped me load him. He didn’t say anything, but I could tell he was pissed. He told me later that my niece is really pissed too. I told him that he needed to smooth it over because it’s just hunting, and I had done nothing wrong and had even tried to avoid any bucks they were hunting.
My wife wants me to stay off that place to avoid pissing them off, but I’m more inclined to go back and kill a couple more does just to piss them off.
My brother is a lazy hunter and always has been. He pretty much only hunts within sight of his house and wonders why he doesn’t see many deer. I love my niece and want her to be successful, and I’ve offered for several years to set up a two person spot and take her. He has declined the offer. I’ve also offered for a couple years to bring her to OK for youth weekend, and that offer has been declined too.
Am I wrong in this situation? Should I avoid hunting on 600 acres, so he can hunt the 5 acres behind his house?

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve focused all my deer hunting on my Oklahoma place since 2014, but since I tagged the buck up there October, I decided to give east TX a try this year. I did a little scouting last Thursday and Friday, and I set my climbing stand on a scrape line. Saturday morning, I passed a really nice young 11 point and ended up shooting a doe that busted me (I don’t tolerate blowing does). I got skunked Saturday evening. Sunday morning, I threw up a ground blind on another scrape line and saw a young doe, a 3 pt, 4 pt, 6 pt, and a nice 8 pt. Sunday evening, I went back to my climber and saw a different 4 point. I didn’t get to hunt yesterday and almost didn’t go today because of the heat, but I decided to go due to this being a “best” day on the solunar table. The minor time for the morning was 6:19-7:19. Just after daylight, the 8 point I passed on Sunday walked under me at about 25 yards, and a little after 7, I heard something moving through the leaves behind me. I turned and saw it was a buck, but I thought it was the 8 point coming back. I got my binos on him and realized it was a different buck with a huge body, so by the time I decided to take him, he was moving off through the woods away from me. I got him in the scope, and fortunately, he stopped. I shot through a 10-12” gap between two tree at 60 yards. I couldn’t see him but heard him fall, but he got back up and slowly walked about 20 yards twitching his tail. He stopped again and fell within sight of my stand about 40 yards to my right.
I knew he was a big bodied buck, but I didn’t realize he was the biggest buck I’ve ever killed in east TX. He bottomed out a 200 lb scale.
He’s not the biggest racked buck I’ve killed in east TX, but he gross scored 130.5”.
I haven’t hunted old school with no corn and no cameras in probably 30 years, and I have to admit it’s kind of liberating.
I used a Blaser BBF 97 12 ga over 308 combo gun topped with an illuminated Schmidt Bender 1.25-4 scope.
View attachment 317332
ID take that one any day of the week! nice Buck

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m kind of in the dog house with my family for shooting the buck on Tuesday, and I’ve debated sharing this.
As I said in the post with my buck, I went old school on my east TX hunt with no corn and no camera, so I literally had no idea what was on or around the place.
For a little history, the place I was on is a 400 acre tract that connect to my Mother’s place (200 acres), and we’ve had permission to hunt it for over 25 years. I used to live within a 4 wheeler ride of the place, but when I bought the new place which is 20 miles away, I pretty much quit hunting over there.
My brother and niece only hunt in my Mother’s pasture (literally 100 yards behind her house and within sight of his house) which is at least 3/4 to a mile from where I was hunting, and I set up where I did to keep from messing up their spot. I called my brother last week and specifically asked him if they had any bucks on camera that he wanted me to pass. He only told me about one buck with split g2’s, and Saturday, I passed a buck with a split g2’s which I found out afterwards wasn’t even the same buck he had seen.
Fast forward, I kill my buck on Tuesday morning and send my brother a picture, and he tells me that he has pictures of him and told my niece that he wasn’t old enough and wasn’t a shooter. I wasn’t very nice with my reply and told him that if he thought that buck wasn’t a shooter he needs to quit hunting and take up golf.
My brother took the pictures and helped me load him. He didn’t say anything, but I could tell he was pissed. He told me later that my niece is really pissed too. I told him that he needed to smooth it over because it’s just hunting, and I had done nothing wrong and had even tried to avoid any bucks they were hunting.
My wife wants me to stay off that place to avoid pissing them off, but I’m more inclined to go back and kill a couple more does just to piss them off.
My brother is a lazy hunter and always has been. He pretty much only hunts within sight of his house and wonders why he doesn’t see many deer. I love my niece and want her to be successful, and I’ve offered for several years to set up a two person spot and take her. He has declined the offer. I’ve also offered for a couple years to bring her to OK for youth weekend, and that offer has been declined too.
Am I wrong in this situation? Should I avoid hunting on 600 acres, so he can hunt the 5 acres behind his house?
Agree with them and carry on best you can. Id love to have that problem

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, your all good

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice buck, but how in the heck do you not get your eye dotted with that scope sitting so far back.?
im just the opposite my scope is all the way forward because my neck is 2 foot long! wish it was below the waist in that respect! anyway nobody could probably shoot my rifles.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t see where you done anything wrong

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
but I’m more inclined to go back and kill a couple more does just to piss them off.
RM, this is me too. I would likely go back every chance I get just to prove a point. Yet, that may also be why I don't have very many friends and family that likes me so be careful of my advice. :burnout:

You did nothing wrong and if he isn't a shooter, I don't know what is. Congratulations on the buck and don't worry about them being pissy.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope you did nothing wrong even ask for a list of bucks not to kill. just how family acts you killed a nice one their pissed dont worry about it. keep hunting and take Does. you could offer to help them branch out and see what their reply is as in putting them a stand farther out or help them build one.!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you could offer to help them branch out and see what their reply is as in putting them a stand farther out or help them build one.!
I’ve been offering to help my brother scout and set up new spots out of the pasture for years, but he‘s never taken me up on it.
I like the ease of hunting over a feeder or food plot as much as anyone, and in a way, I decided to hunt in east TX this year to prove to myself that I’ve still got the ability to go into the woods, look for deer signs, and really “hunt”. Evidently, I do. :woohoo1:

Latest posts

Top Bottom