223 vs 556

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use .223 dies on all my 5.56 and .223 brass. I shoot the rounds in both a bolt action rifle and several AR's with no problems at all.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5.56 is the military designation. The chamber for the 5.56 is a little looser than the standard SAAMI specs for the .223 Remington. That is done to allow for variations in ammo and to allow the weapon to function in field conditions. The Military loading for the 5.56 is somewhat hotter than the factory 223 as well. I have weapons designated as 223 and as 5.56. I use standard 223 dies and load data for all that I shoot. Good luck and enjoy.. Blitzfike

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
5.56 is the military designation. The chamber for the 5.56 is a little looser than the standard SAAMI specs for the .223 Remington. That is done to allow for variations in ammo and to allow the weapon to function in field conditions. The Military loading for the 5.56 is somewhat hotter than the factory 223 as well. I have weapons designated as 223 and as 5.56. I use standard 223 dies and load data for all that I shoot. Good luck and enjoy.. Blitzfike

that is what i keep reading. i just wanted to make sure. my brother has an ar i am thinking about buying a bolt gun.what powder and 55gr lead is most common. i already load 22-250 can i use the same powder? i am only using 40gr ballistic tips right now.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that is what i keep reading. i just wanted to make sure. my brother has an ar i am thinking about buying a bolt gun.what powder and 55gr lead is most common. i already load 22-250 can i use the same powder? i am only using 40gr ballistic tips right now.

probably. What powder are you using? TAC is pretty popular for AR's and Varget / Benchmark are pretty hard to beat in a bolt gun

Latest posts

Top Bottom