30/30 lever guns, talk to me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a lever action 30/30 and don't know anything about them.
What should I look for, good and bad?
I heard that Winchester has an upward ejection and can have problems with scopes interfering with ejection.
Haven't heard much about Marlin.
What is the difference in models?
Thanks for your insight.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Winchester 94s had top and angle eject. The Marlin 336 is probably a better choice if you want to put a scope on. I'm not a big fan of scopes on lever guns. The bolt on the Marlin can be removed pretty easily which will make cleaning easier. That's just what comes to mind off the top of my head.

rw1341

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both are great guns & you'd be good going with either. I was raised on Marlins so I'm partial towards them. I would go shoulder some at local pawn shops and se if one or the other talks to you.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You probably won't like it, so if you want to sell those 30-30 shells... (I missed them by minutes)

No but really, I had the Winchester and liked the action just a hair better, but wanted a scope so I got the Marlin with see-through sites and have killed many a deer with it including this one at 160 yards:
ai254.photobucket.com_albums_hh93_jmfothergill_Hunting_202010_DSC03384.jpg

Last edited:

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. I'll go check a few out.
I've been looking for ammo for one of these for a while and now that I have a bit I should get serious about getting a gun!
I'm not real big on scopes but thought i may actually try one at some point.
Are Winchester and Marlin really the only game in 30/30 levers, or are there others to look at?
Thanks.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a marlin 336, with the 18inch barrel. I have shot quite a few of the winchesters and it drives me nuts to see the shell eject upwards if I lever it while shouldered.

But like said above shoulder some guns see how they feel to you, the marlin came/comes in a variety of styles. My favorite is the straight stock straight lever but a lot of guys seem to like the curved style.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. I'll go check a few out.
I've been looking for ammo for one of these for a while and now that I have a bit I should get serious about getting a gun!
I'm not real big on scopes but thought i may actually try one at some point.
Are Winchester and Marlin really the only game in 30/30 levers, or are there others to look at?
Thanks.

Mossberg also makes a 30/30 lever gun. Can't tell you a thing about it though.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a marlin 336 that was my first rifle. Killed many deer with it and love it. I always liked the curved style stock as opposed to the straight style but to each his own.

Latest posts

Top Bottom