338 ultra mag vs. 338 win mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobshain

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking to purchase a good hunting rifle able to reach an easy 300-400 yards. I already have my 308 which is very capable but now I'm looking to go bigger. I've been reading up a little on a .338 Caliber yet I'm still unsure of the differences between an Ultra Mag and a Win Mag other can casing length and PRICE. Is there anyone out there that can put some of the magazine talk into basic terms that I might be able to understand?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard of that but have never shot it. I'm curious as to what exactly that is.

You don't really want the Lapua as a hunting gun. Sure, there are a lot of guys who use then for long range hunting, but for what you are talking about out to 300-400 yards, I would strongly recommend the 338 Win Mag. It's plenty. Anything more is a waste of money and unnecessary abuse to your shoulder.

jacobshain

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
True but I'm a typical guy. I like a larger caliber gun but it has to be practicable. A 50 Cal just doesn't make any sense in my hands or against my wallet though I would still love one. That's why I'm decided to scale back to a 338.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True but I'm a typical guy. I like a larger caliber gun but it has to be practicable. A 50 Cal just doesn't make any sense in my hands or against my wallet though I would still love one. That's why I'm decided to scale back to a 338.

Then that's exactly why you should go with the 338 Win Mag.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get you a R700 action and have it barreled in 338 Edge. It's just a 300 remington ultra mag necked to .338. Beats a Lapua in speed (from what I've read...) and is cheaper to shoot, etc. As long as you reload.

I like the idea of it. Cheap brass, etc.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a .338 Edge. If you are not serious about shooting or don't have a lot of money to burn then just get a 7mm RM or 300WM. The big cartridges are pretty expensive to shoot nowadays. I'm guessing you don't reload.....
The .338 WM is a great cartidge for elk by the way.
With the bigger rounds you will may want a muzzle brake and then you have to deal with excess noise.

If your just shooting deer or paper a .308 Win can handle 300-400yd. shots easily.

Latest posts

Top Bottom