$350.00 hats banned by school district.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gawd, can these "educated educators" get any dumber? Don't look for them! If the kid lost it, that's on them. Its not the schools responsibility to keep track of the kids possessions. While I agree buying a middle schooler a $350 hat, if the parents have the money to burn thats on them. But for the school to go so far as asking kids to not wear them, thats also a bit out of line.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I know is that classically the wearing of hats in the hallway, and in the classroom is discouraged. My honest opinion is that it is very tasteful to wear a hat in the building anyway. I am a school teacher and Ex Navy. In the military we had three steps to remove our cover unless we on watch, or performing some service. I have never seen a need to wear a hat inside.

I’ll tell you that I wouldn’t spend 10 seconds helping a kid find one.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
DAUGHTER: Dad, would you pleeeease buy me this hat?
DAD: Anything you think you need sweetheart...
MOM: Tim, that silly hat costs $350.00!!
DAUGHTER: You guys just don't get it, EVERY kid in school has one, if I don't have one they will make fun me.
DAD: I will buy you that hat today, if and only if you promise to work the South Section and get it turned by friday.
DAUGHTER: GREAT!! I love you guys!!!!!
Friday night at the supper table:
DAD: Section looks great you did a wonderful job.
DAUGHTER: Thanks, are you going to pay me the usual $200.00 per section this year?
DAD: Yeppers, and you can finish the east Section next week.
Later in the week:
DAUGHTER: Hey Dad, I finished the east Section already, would it be alright if I collect my pay now? Sally and our friends want to go to the mall.
DAD: Sure dear, hands her a $50.00 bill.
DAUGHTER: Haha, funny dad, you know it is supposed to be $400.00.
DAD: And now you understand the price of your new hat. You worked a full two sections, spent over 40 hours in the fields and after your hat made $50.00.
DAUGHTER: That sucks, if I had known that I was buying it myself I never would have asked for it! (Generation entitled)

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a fan of mandatory dress codes.
I went to a "mandatory dress code" type school from 3rd grade thru the first half of my 9th grade year. I didn't like it or hate it. It was just part of going to school I guess.
We had to wear white, navy or light blue shirts with buttons. Red shirts were permissible on certain school spirit days. Pants (no denim) were khaki or navy colored and black was permissible on certain days. Belts were mandatory and could only have a max of 4or6" of "tail. Shirts had to be tucked in and the belt must be visible. No excessive "bluffing" out of the shirt. There was no code for shoes. Girl requirements were bout the same but they could wear skorts not skirts as long as they were long enough. 3" above the kneecap I believe. It was measured with an index card.

Last edited:

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i always found a dress code to be easier to work with and less hassle, but as you noted, it was just part of life.

I went to an all boys Catholic High School. We had to wear Blazers, Ties, Slacks and Dress Shows. I guess it wasn’t such a chore in hindsight. I sure do love the feel of a good pair of blue jeans now. The issue of fashion and style; which can usually be eliminated by school uniforms, really wasn’t avoided at all. My parents were both school teachers, while most of the other students parents were doctors, lawyers, oil rich, CEOs, bank presidents and the like. I received a great education. But my clothing didn’t cost nearly as much as some did. I’m the type that isn’t bothered by that. I also had parents that were in love with word NO! Lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom