350 Legend performance on deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Ruger American in 350L, bought it when it first came out because I wanted to see what it would do. Its got the shock value with the right ammo and placement just like any other cartridge. It limits me to 200 yards and on one property it shines. I shot a couple doe with it a couple years ago and at 135 yards it looked like a seen from a horor movie with all the blood loss and deer dead not far away. At 180 it was a through one shoulder and both lungs and dropped 15 feet away. I dont "need" it, but I like it enough to keep it. Mine is scoped with a 6x36 leupold and handles like a dream.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
C’mon man, non of these scenarios allow for an AR platform.
I think you've hit on the second part of the equation that makes it and the 400 viable.
Yes, there are other straight wall cartridges, slugs, and muzzleloaders that could be used in the states requiring non-bottle-necked ammo but the .350 and the .400 operate in the AR platform. ARs seem to be somewhat popular.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think a lack of “ instant knockdown” is common with all the lower velocity (.30-30 speeds and on down), but as long as it consistently exits, does a good amount of internal damage- the blood trails are usually short and easy to follow. ( the .50 muzz with the .45 sabot xtp or similar bullet being a great example) The .350 was meant be be a “ straight wall cartridge rules” legal cartridge, that can be run in an AR with a standard bolt and a nearly standard magazine. It would be a better option than .300 blk for those who want to use an AR in a state where .22 centerfire is not deer legal.. 150 gr .35 cal bullet at .30-30 speeds- doesnt require much math to say it should perform as well as .35 rem, or at least as well as .30-30 at the appropriate ranges..

Latest posts

Top Bottom