.38/.357 Die Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at dies for .38/.357, what crimp do you guys use most, taper or roll? I thought all .38/.357 were roll crimped, but then I see the option for taper in the die sets. Now I'm confused.

I like RCBS pistol dies, but should I go with another brand? What do you guys recommend.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Roll. Nuff said.

On the dies RCBS are always good. But I'm really liking the New Dimension series from Hornady. Whatever you get just make sure they are carbide or at the very least titanium nitride coated. You don't want to be lubing your pistol rounds. Don't look past Redding either.

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I lean towards Lyman for handguns with cast bullets.They size the cases just enough smaller to get a good hold on lead bullets,the bell die is stepped to prevent bullet deformation.

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have used both with the same results. they claim a taper will allow for more loadings on your brass.Most of the compressed loads call for a heavy roll crimp so that is what I use most often.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also remember that there are at least 2 commercial .357 Autos (Coonan and Desert Eagle). The taper crimp might be more appropriate on them. Due to bullet pull with heavy loads, I aways use roll crimp. I think it gives better load consistency anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom