45acp question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

A buddy of mine had these 45acp reloads that he got when his dad died. I bought about 200-300 from him. They look like a wad cutter to me. I loaded them up in my HK45 mag and tried to chamber a round. The gun would jamb. I tried it a few times. It never would feed from the mag to the chamber. I suppose the HK45 wants to feed only hard ball or Hollow points and not these.

I guess next time I will take my 1911s with me and attempt to shoot these rounds. I understand folks use 1911s to shoot wad cutters in competitions??

Am I right?

I thought about trying to shoot them in my 45 long colt cowboy pistol. However the rim on the base of the case was too thick and the cylinder would not close.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may just be the picture, but that does not look like an acp case to me, looks like a 45 auto rim. If that is what it is it is meant to shoot from 45acp revolvers without using the moon clips. They won't work in an auto. What is stamped on the case?

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may just be the picture, but that does not look like an acp case to me, looks like a 45 auto rim. If that is what it is it is meant to shoot from 45acp revolvers without using the moon clips. They won't work in an auto. What is stamped on the case?

Dang! thank you for the heads up! Just checked! It is stamped 45 auto rim. I assumed 45acp. Stupid me! No wonder they would not work. Thank you very much! I was not even aware of a 45 auto rim cartridge. I just expanded my knowledge. I don't know what a moon clip is though???

I guess that I will be selling these. I do not own a .45 revolver.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could pull the bullets, melt down and reuse. And the cases would probably easily sell.

Personally, and this is just me, I don't think I'd want any potential liability from selling them whole as they are now.

Good luck.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The moon clips are thin metal circles that have slots in them that the acp 45 cartridges slip into. That allows a revolver to shoot acp cartridges, the same ones that go in a 45 auto. the moon clip stays in the pistol when it is loaded. I think military did that starting on the Smith & Wesson 1917 they issued as there were not enough 1911's to go around so they could issue the same ammo for both pistols. I will send you a PM about the ammo. If the price is right I may buy them from you if you want to sell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom