This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Aylworth

Marksman
Reaction score
Good afternoon folks, I am a relatively new member who has never posted before but I need some insight. I retired my 6.5 Grendel from thermal hog hunts when the Hornady Match 123 GR ELD was just not producing ethical kills. I shot one hog a total of six times, one after another. I would knock him down and watch him get back up, then shoot him again, over and over again. Once he was finally down I went to get my truck and when I returned to get him, he was 200 yards away limping at his top speed. Don't care much for hogs but that just isn't ethical. Started carrying the 308 but the Grendel is half the weight and I am not getting any younger. The 243 does the job as well with a lighter bullet but a much higher velocity. So, I am looking for a better round for the Grendel that won't break the bank.

I found a Barnes VOR-TX 115 gr Tipped Triple Shock X Boat Tail that claims to be generating a 3225 fps muzzle velocity. That is a crazy speed for a Grendel. So I have a couple of questions for anyone who has some experience with this ammunition.

1) Is 3225 fps a typo or a Creedmore velocity on a Grendel Details Sheet?

2) Is the Barnes TTSX the bullet I want to provide the penetration, expansion and weight retention I need for hunting wild hogs?

Any help or insight I can get is greatly appreciated.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1) I guarantee that you aren't going to see 3,225 FPS from a 115gr bullet in a Grendel...not even with a 40" barrel. 2,500 FPS is more likely...and I have zero clue how anyone generated the 3,225 number.

2) I have used both the 120gr TSX, and 100gr TTSX in the Grendel with great success on hogs.

Since photos are worth a thousand words:

Aaron Aylworth

Marksman
Reaction score
1) I guarantee that you aren't going to see 3,225 FPS from a 115gr bullet in a Grendel...not even with a 40" barrel. 2,500 FPS is more likely...and I have zero clue how anyone generated the 3,225 number.

2) I have used both the 120gr TSX, and 100gr TTSX in the Grendel with great success on hogs.

Since photos are worth a thousand words:

I knew the add had to be a typo. Really think they were quoting the Creedmore but I very much appreciate your info on the bullet itself. Thank you

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try the Hornady 123grain SST's. They expand really well in deer..... My AR likes a less than max load for accuracy but the bullet has performed well. If you are not reload
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/6-5-grendel-123-gr-sst#!/

^ I've used this bullet once on a deer, and it performed perfectly.

I've killed a few dozen hogs with the 123gr SST, and it was excellent there too. I have zero reservations about recommending the 123 SST for the Grendel.

*It is also a hammer in the 120gr version for the 6.8 SPC.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^ I've used this bullet once on a deer, and it performed perfectly.

I've killed a few dozen hogs with the 123gr SST, and it was excellent there too. I have zero reservations about recommending the 123 SST for the Grendel.

*It is also a hammer in the 120gr version for the 6.8 SPC.
100%!!! 123 SST is the way to go!

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to OSA and I agree with everyone else’s recommendation for the 123 SST. The SSTs actually shoot more accurately out of AR than the ELDs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom