8 mm Mauser

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RVCooper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just took a look around the web for some surplus ammo for my old Mauser and it sure looks like there's a lot less available than there was a just a month or two ago. Still a little out there but not any thing like it was. Quit buying 22 a while back for the obvious reason, now I gotta lose out on this too? Just wondering if there's anything happening that I'm behind on, which I tend to be in most matters. Anybody got the skinny?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All the old eastern European stockpiles dryin' up is my guess....or at least not getting a priority for importation.

I've got a couple tins I bought years ago and I keep 'em tucked away to feed my K98k.....

RVCooper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It just seems like a lot of outfits offered cases of stuff from the middle-east up until real recently, and now most of them are out. Well, that's me all over, hem & haw until the barn door shuts. I'll keep a closer watch now!

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I've shot my k98k a total of 6 times since I got it probably 5 or 6 yrs ago. I think it was Prvi Partizan. I don't remember. Never thought about stocking up on ammo at that time since I didn't know a lot about guns and only had one other gun, my .308 deer rifle. Now I wish I could go back and buy ammo for my k98k so I could actually shoot it.

I have only found Persian surplus for sale like $200 something for 1000 rounds. I just don't want to shoot corrosive out of it nor do I want to spend $30 for a box of new ammo.

My rifle is now just a historical piece that I stare at. Even though it is the most beautiful gun I have and the smoothest shooter (next to my Remington 700 30-06), it sure is tempting to trade it for a Mosin Nagant and some spam cans of 7.62x54r.... :rubhands:

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot my k98k a total of 6 times since I got it probably 5 or 6 yrs ago. I think it was Prvi Partizan. I don't remember. Never thought about stocking up on ammo at that time since I didn't know a lot about guns and only had one other gun, my .308 deer rifle. Now I wish I could go back and buy ammo for my k98k so I could actually shoot it.

I have only found Persian surplus for sale like $200 something for 1000 rounds. I just don't want to shoot corrosive out of it nor do I want to spend $30 for a box of new ammo.

My rifle is now just a historical piece that I stare at. Even though it is the most beautiful gun I have and the smoothest shooter (next to my Remington 700 30-06), it sure is tempting to trade it for a Mosin Nagant and some spam cans of 7.62x54r.... :rubhands:

The original owner shot corrosive out of your rifle, didn't clean it as well as he should have, and then dumped it into a big pile of rifles in the Russian snow and mud. :)

Just clean it properly as you're supposed to for corrosive, and you're fine.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought an 8mm Mauser at a garage sale for $20 (in 79 or 80).
I took it home and cleaned the thunder out of it, then looked down the bore, solid pitting almost no rifling. But you know what, it still shot as good as I was capable of.
I traded it a long time ago now, I wished I would have kept it.

Try an Obsolete Ammo site. Or try Shamburgs in Clinton.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The surplus I've run into lately has been mostly pretty sorry. Do you reload? There are some fine bullets available - brass is usually available from Winchester or Remington seasonally.

If you do find some decent shooting surplus, just clean it good, like others have said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom