80% lowers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtleboy

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you can buy them no ffl required but you have to do a little machine work.

the question is has anyone on here tried this?

aresarmor.com and a few other places have them if anyone wants to check it out.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
hey turtleboy, i think we may know each other. the 80% lowers look damn near impossible to finish without some serious machining tools and a lot of knowledge.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The companies that offer the 80% AR uppers usually offer clamp-on guides that will supposedly allow a person to "machine" one with a drill press. I've not tried it so I can't speak on it.

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a buddy at work who has several blanks and has made several from scratch. He has a mill and a lathe at home and is an amazing machinist

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read a thread on ar15.com that quoted one member that had used a hand held drill and a dremel to finish one. I have a friend that has made several out of a blank forging. He did have machine equipment to use. He snuck them into his job and made them in the machine shop at the plant. He had one that looked like an 80% lower that he brought in and showed me. The 80% ones are something that I would like to try but it doesn't save any money. It just keeps the gun off the books.

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
UT Arms had a table at Wannemacher 4-5 years ago and they had a pretty nice 80% lower and the jigs. I don't know if I'd use a drill press but I image that a mini-mill or an old manual vertical mill would do the trick.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 80% lowers are supposed to be fairly simple. The one posted here from ArmsList was a 20%, which is basically a paperweight. I haven't done an 80%, but I bought the Tactical Machining jig a few months ago when I was thinking about trying it and now can't find the 80% forging.

Latest posts

Top Bottom