9mm auto anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't put much stock in that article. If they would have shown a photo of a handful of each round sitting in an arc with the bullets touching, they would be the same arc/angle. And the feed ramp is what gets touched with the bullet anyways. And the bullet will not be in a downward push on its exit.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's always a trade-off. Taper helps insure reliable extraction. Straight wall helps the feed process. 112 years of success tends to make me thing the 9mm Parabellum is good enough.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 9mm Luger is a relatively sharply tapered round. The .380 Auto, .38 Super, 40 S&W and .45 ACP are much more straight.

If you are running mixed brass in your 9mm reloads I caution that you need to set your taper crimp to run with the THINNEST brass you may encounter. Because of the sharp taper, the 9 is more subject to bullet setback upon feeding. This causes a huge pressure spike in a small case, such as the 9. I run a 0.376 taper crimp to limit this possibility.

castleeleven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 9mm Luger is a relatively sharply tapered round. The .380 Auto, .38 Super, 40 S&W and .45 ACP are much more straight.

If you are running mixed brass in your 9mm reloads I caution that you need to set your taper crimp to run with the THINNEST brass you may encounter. Because of the sharp taper, the 9 is more subject to bullet setback upon feeding. This causes a huge pressure spike in a small case, such as the 9. I run a 0.376 taper crimp to limit this possibility.
Thanks for advise. Will always extra careful.

Latest posts

Top Bottom