A/C Condensers and Cottonwoods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like many here I’m sure, every year about this time I battle the cottonwood seeds collecting on the condenser of my air conditioning unit. It’s a total nuisance to deal with and I had a thought cross my mind last night I thought I’d run past you guys. The “apostrophe” came to me when I walked out onto our patio last evening only to be greeted by a swarm of mosquitos. Wife asks “do we have any spray we can use?” “You betcha honey” and I ran out to the garage and grabbed a can of starter fluid and a Zippo lighter. Vaporized the little bastards and didn’t see another skeeter all night. So here’s the question, how bad would it be to hit the cottonwood seeds on my a/c unit with a flame blast? I did it in a spot that had only a few and they vanished and the fire was out in about 2 seconds. Have I just come up with a workable solution that’s also a little fun or is this a really bad idea?

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like many here I’m sure, every year about this time I battle the cottonwood seeds collecting on the condenser of my air conditioning unit. It’s a total nuisance to deal with and I had a thought cross my mind last night I thought I’d run past you guys. The “apostrophe” came to me when I walked out onto our patio last evening only to be greeted by a swarm of mosquitos. Wife asks “do we have any spray we can use?” “You betcha honey” and I ran out to the garage and grabbed a can of starter fluid and a Zippo lighter. Vaporized the little bastards and didn’t see another skeeter all night. So here’s the question, how bad would it be to hit the cottonwood seeds on my a/c unit with a flame blast? I did it in a spot that had only a few and they vanished and the fire was out in about 2 seconds. Have I just come up with a workable solution that’s also a little fun or is this a really bad idea?
I would recommend just rinsing it off. Beyond that use a foaming A/C coil cleaner following the instructions on the can. Modern AC refrigerants are offline quite volatile and I would avoid using flame on a unit.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a video I saw not too long ago. They showed a park and some downtown area that was covered white with the down you’re talking about.

Someone lit a flame to it and it just burned all of it off in a wave, not a big fire but it was gone from the park and down town area in seconds.

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"I would recommend just rinsing it off. "

Just make sure you hose it from the inside of the condenser coil (where the cottonwood fibers are NOT) so that you are forcing them out the way they got sucked into the coil. If you just try to wash it from the outside (where the cottonwood seeds are) to the fan, all you will do is clog the fins even more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom