A firearm made a difference... Post your story up!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z71

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the 1990's..the family and I left central OK after work..driving to Sealey TX...at 2 or 3 in the morning..I was driving and the rest of the family were sleeping and we were nearing Houston..A tan full-size Chevy van started messing with me!! Trying to get me to pull over...pass me slow down in my lane trying to get me to follow them onto the shoulder..to which I would just pass them by in the other lane..then they would speed up and do it again. None or not much other traffic this time of morning on I-45..

We did this several times..the van trying to get me pulled over...and speeding around me at high speed..or slowing down beside me wanting something...after a few times of this...I fished my Norinco 1911A1 from under the seat...turned on the dome-light..and showed the occupants of the van my cool(near new then) 1911 pistol.

That did the trick!!...The tan van passed me and hauled *** on into Houston.

I found out later that this was the time-frame that bodys were turning up here and there around the Houston area and along I-10...possibly/probably had a close call with serial killers!!!...I think my Chinese .45 saved me and the family!!

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Texas 2008 approximately 10:30PM, Mini-mart parking lot, low rent part of Corpus Christi (yeah, I know, I asked for this).

I was waiting for the old guy in front of me to get done and one of those Caprices with the 35" rims decided to roll through. I could see in the reflection on the windows in front of me that it stopped and a young hoodrat got out and walked over to the payphone about 20 feet away to my left and the car kept going and parked on my right.

Dude walked up to the payphone and picked it up, didn't put in any money, no calling card and just started acting like he was on the phone. This struck me as odd, most people of his age don't even know how to use a payphone :wink2:. I looked at him and and he looked at me (still on the phone). He asked me WTF I was looking at along with some other racial slurs, (you know the kind that come in a box and taste good with soup). He Looked back at his buddy who was glaring at me from the window of the ghettosled and nodding in approval. He then hung up the phone and started towards us, staring intently on me. I could also see the driver exiting the vehicle to my right from the reflection on windows.

I was carrying my 1911 in a crossbreed supertuck at the 9 o' clock (lefty). I had on a t-shirt, so I pulled it up and put my hand on the grip and said "Bad Idea Man". He stopped, his eyes got bigger than softballs. He nodded, put his hands in the "I aint got nothing" position and then walked WAY around the back of me almost to the edge of the parking lot. I tracked him the whole way to the car and they all got in and burned out of the parking lot without even turning on thier lights.

I suspect that if I did not have a firearm, old man and I would have been robbed by these thugs. I also think that escalating to the hand on my exposed firearm diffused whatever situation was about to occur.

Heard from a friend later that there had been a rash of folks getting robbed as they were withdrawing cash at ATMs and that getting cashback is safer (good tip).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I was on a little deployment to SE Asia around 1970........

In civilian life, it wasn't a firearm,but a bluff that got me through the confrontation.

My wife and I were at the Botanical Gardens in OKC. It was Sunday, and not many people about. We went to walk the reflecting pool. Going down the stairs, we passed a guy just standing there, looking a little rough. About half way around I saw another guy in front of us. My bell went off, so, told my wife to turn around and get out of there. The other guy was coming behind us. the guy in front was coming.

Told my wife, no matter what happened, run like hell, and don't look back. It was cool, and had a windbreaker on. Took on a little attitude, stuck my hand in my jacket, and looked the guy right in the eyes. As we approached, he took his eyes off of me, and kind of acted so-so, we went by him and out of there with no problems.
This was in the 80's, way before CC. I was unarmed.

Got lucky I guess.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
In December 96, went to local gunshop/range. I had a colt .380, Kahr K9, Charles Daly 1911 .45. At the time i was always broke, just got my PA CC permit.

I never had more than 1 box of bullets for each gun. Usually when i would go shoot, i would shoot all my bullets and save enough for 1 fully loaded mag each.

On this day i shot everything i had, because i had a Dan Wesson .357 at the house. As i left the gunshop i tossed all 3 guns in my range bag and tossed the bag in the front passenger seat of my wife, spankin new 97 chevy lumina.

I then proceeded to the house. On the way home, i lit a cig, rolled down window, even though it was freezin cold. Came to a red light near the bus station, stopped. 2 guys walked up to car, 1 asked for a smoke, the other reached in and grabbed me, almost pulling me out the window!!

All i could think of was NO bullets!! I reached in and grabbed the Daly 1911, thumbed hammer back, started cussin and shoved it in his face. He jumped back, fell down and i sped away.

It happened sooo quick, im thankfull it turned out like it did.

Bronchodawg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in 1974 I was 8 years old. I lived with my single mother and my 6 year old sister. We lived in an apartment off of 23rd and Purdue in OKC. At around 9 or 10 in the evening we heard a knock at the door. My mother was a little long to answer it, the next thing we hear is someone trying to kick the door open. My mother got her single action 22. revolver and shot through the door. She did not hit anyone, but scared them off.
When the police got there one of the of the officers said, " lady I wish you would have hit him, I would rather be looking down at him than looking for him".

Last edited:

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your signature is nice but guns are an issue that will make me a single issue voter.

There is a difference between a "single-issue" voter, who will only consider that one issue, to the exclusion of all others, when voting and the voter who uses an issue as the final determining factor before making a choice.

mccullma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a manufacture's rep. I had a meeting with a baseball concessions manager along with a distributor rep before the season started a few years back. After our meeting the distributor rep and I were sitting in my car in the vacant parking lot discussing some things when 2 unsavory characters begin to approach us with all the tell tale signs of suspicion. I reached down to my middle glove box to retrieve my pistol. Without even showing it, they took off in a big hurry. Score one for the good guys!

Latest posts

Top Bottom