A little Mosin Nagant question!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobshain

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 1917 Remington Mosin-Nagant with all matching serial numbers. All the markings, from the barrel to the stock are there except 1. There seems to be no US stamp just in front of the magazine weld which from what I read, means that it was never placed into US Service. Does this mean it was sent to Russia before they denied our rifles or were these sold to the public (I doubt that considering the US entered the war that year). It's in really good shape for being 95 years old and has not been chopped down. Please let me know, I'll post pictures once I find the time to do so.

Jake

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When Russia failed to pay the bill for the US made Nagant's (I think Westinghouse made a huge pile of them as well) the US govt bought up most of the surplus inventory. Some were assigned to troops in europe, but most were stockpiled. After WW2 I know the US donated 100's of thousands of them to some of the break away Russian republics like Czechoslovakia. The rest of them were sold as military surplus years after WW2.

My guess is that you have a US surplus rifle that was simply never issued and sold as surplus. I THINK the stamp was only applied at the time they were issued, so if it wasn't issued and just went straight from the armory to surplus inventory then it wouldn't have been marked.

Post pics when you get chance, I've heard the remingtons have much nicer wood furniture then the Russian made ones. I own a few Nagants myself and I actually think they are great looking rifles.

P

point and laugh

i had absolutely no idea that us made nagants..... i want one now....
I have one I would sell If you're interested in one. This one was once property of Finland.
i1148.photobucket.com_albums_o574_Point_and_Laugh_a173.jpg

i1148.photobucket.com_albums_o574_Point_and_Laugh_fin.jpg

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The NRA got a hold of some of the original contract too, and they were sold to the civilians in the US between the wars. Go to Gun Boards and ask Tuco or some of those guys for a definite answer.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That one is a Westinghouse one right? Got some more photos showing the whole gun?

Pm me with a price?

I'm interested.

Remington...take a look at the markings on the barrel (a Westinghouse will be marked "New England Westinghouse"). The rifle was manufactured by Remington, sent to Russia, and ended up in the hands of the Finnish civil guard. Many of the Remington M91's ended up in Finland before being re-imported to the U.S. These rifles are generally worth about 50% less than a non-SA marked rifle. The other Remington M91's that didn't get shipped over to Russia due to the Bolshevik Revolution, were used for training rifles during the WWI era before being sold through the NRA afterwards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom