A tragic mistake on my 1894 Octagon.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to give my Marlin 1894 Octagon stocks the treatment; they were scratched, dented, beat up, so on. I bought all the gear for a refinish, acetone, scraper, 80, 180, 220 grit sandpaper, even a sanding block. After stripping the finish and sanding with all three and putting on a coat of oil, I managed to turn my beloved Octagon into a gun I completely hate. In all the videos and advice columns I watched and read, all you do is strip it, sand it, throw on the linseed oil and it turns into Michelangelo’s work. Instead I have this dull, mismatched modern art I wouldn’t look at twice at a gunshow. Can these be salvaged or do I toss them in the fire and hope a new set of stocks show up sometime?
IMG_9010.jpeg
IMG_9011.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Apply Walnut wood stain on the rear stock? I don't think you won the wood lottery with that stock.
It looked so much better with the finish too, even with all the damage. After a stain, what would be a good varnish to coat with to get the shine back? Some guys like the matte, hand rubbed look but I’ve quickly discovered that to my eyes it looks awful and incomplete.

I’ve wanted to get a Marlin and spend a few years and likely more money than I’d admit too to “make it mine.” Turkish walnut stocks, color case hardened receiver, lever, end cap, reblue the barrel, possibly some engraving, looks like I may have found the candidate.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This is an amazing product. I’ve used it to revitalize cabinets, tie in new to existing cabinets, refinish gun stocks. The more layers you use, the shinier it gets. I take 4 00 steel wool and buff down to the sheen I want.
View attachment 439901

I've used that on vases turned on a lathe before and can look like glass if done right.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its not tragic.

The stock can be finished again to match.

Personally I would have left it, honest wear on wood furniture speaks of history.

If you want perfect wood, order a replacement stock set already finished and ready to mount.

Latest posts

Top Bottom